Slow Cooker Lentil Bolognese
Lentil Bolognese is slow-cooked with garden fresh vegetables, aromatic herbs, and savory seasonings. The rich and hearty tomato sauce has traditional Bolognese flavor without the meat. Healthy, clean eating that tastes like your Nonna prepared it in her Italian kitchen. Serve over pasta or with some crispy, crusty bread.
- 1 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry green lentils rinsed
- 1 cup white mushrooms diced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasonings
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes Italian style
- 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 oz can tomato paste optional for thickness
- ¾ cup water or red wine
- 1 lb pasta I used rigatoni
- crusty bread for serving
Heat 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
When the pan is hot, add the diced onion and carrot. Cook for 3 minutes.
Add Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the onion mixture to your crockpot.
Add lentils, 1 can of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning, 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes, 1 can of tomato paste (if using), mushrooms, red pepper flakes, and water (or red wine).
Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Cook pasta 15 minutes before you’re ready to eat.
Serve with crusty bread.
- You can skip the first 2 steps and add everything to your crockpot from the beginning.
- Add an extra half-cup of water to the lentil Bolognese recipe so your sauce is more brothy and saucy.
- If you like your food spicy, add a half-teaspoon of cayenne pepper while cooking.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 218kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 633mg | Potassium: 974mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2177IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 5mg