Chorizo Black Bean Soup
This Chorizo Black Bean Soup is a fun alternative to a more traditional bean soup with the flavors of spicy chorizo and fresh lime juice.
- beef or vegetarian chorizo
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans , drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bell peppers diced (about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 1/2 large onion pureed (about 1/2 cup/125 mL)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup 60 mL cilantro, minced, for garnish
- 2 limes cut into wedges, for garnish
In a large bowl; combine chorizo, and broth. Mix well.
Dice bell peppers, puree onions, mince garlic, and add to bowl along with bay leaf, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and olive oil. Mix well.
MAKE IT NOW
Pour contents of bowl into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Add black beans and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve topped with fresh minced cilantro, a lime wedge, and avocado crema, if desired.
THAW AND COOK
Place bag in a large bowl in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours prior to serving. Pour contents of bag into large slow cooker. Cook LOW 6-8 hours/HIGH 3-4 hours. Add black beans and cook an additional 15 minutes. Serve topped with fresh minced cilantro, a lime wedge, and avocado crema, if desired.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 62kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 825mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2145IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg