Beef and Mushroom Stew
It is not easy to make what I believe would be a Julia worthy variation on beef bourguignon that is freezer and slow cooker friendly…but I think I may have done it…
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 10 mins
Total Time2 hrs 40 mins
- 2 1/2 lbs. 1.25 kg beef roast (I used a London broil and it was amazing)
- 8 oz. 250 g bacon
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL butter
- 2 cups 500 mL sliced frozen carrots
- 1 large onion about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 8 oz. 250 g mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic about 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
- 2 cups 500 mL beef broth
- 6 oz. 175 g can tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp. 45 mL Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Tbsp. 45 mL flour (2 1/2 Tbsp. (37 mL) Corn starch for G.F.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. 7 mL thyme
- 2 tsp. 10 mL Better Than Beef bouillon
- 2 tsp. 10 mL fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tbsp. 15 mL dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp. 7 mL dried basil
- pinch of nutmeg optional
- 3 Large Potatoes cubed, at time of cooking, do not freeze, about 2 cups (500 mL)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parsley for garnish
Cut beef roast into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
Dice bacon into small 1/4-inch (.5 cm) pieces. Sauté in a large skillet over medium high heat for 3 minutes, so it isn’t crispy but so most the fats have been released, drain and cool completely.
Puree onion until smooth and mince garlic.
Clean and slice mushrooms into 1/4-inch (.5cm) slices. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté mushrooms, in small batches, so that they brown evenly on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Let cool completely.
In a large bowl combine cubed roast, cooked bacon pieces, pureed onion, minced garlic, sautéed mushrooms, carrots, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, flour, thyme, bouillon, rosemary, oregano, basil, and nutmeg. Mix Well.
MAKE IT NOW
Wash, Peel, and cube potatoes. Place contents of bowl and cubed potatoes into a 5 quart (4.73 L) slow cooker. Stir together. Cover and cook LOW 7 to 8 hours/ HIGH 3 to 4 hours. salt and pepper to taste. Top with minced parsley. Serve hot.
THAW AND COOK
Place bag in a large bowl in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours. Wash, peel, and cube potatoes. Place thawed contents of bag and cubed potatoes into a 5 quart (4.73 L) slow cooker. Stir together. Cover and cook LOW 7 to 8 hours/HIGH 3 to 4 hours. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with minced parsley. Serve hot.
Calories: 533kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 814mg | Potassium: 1450mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 6060IU | Vitamin C: 22.2mg | Calcium: 169mg | Iron: 10.4mg