Italian Turkey and Spinach Chili
This delicious chili can satisfy the hungriest of armies.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 2 lbs. (.91 kg) ground turkey
- 16 oz. (500 mL) chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cooking sherry
- 15 oz. (425 g) can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. (235 g) can of great northern beans, drained
- 1-6 oz. (175 g) can green chilis
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1-8 oz. (250 mL) spinach, frozen and chopped
- 2 celery ribs about 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- 3 carrots about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 1 medium onion about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 6 cloves garlic about 3 tsp. (15 mL)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Herb de Province
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL )dried basil
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) salt
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, minced, for garnish
In a large skillet sauté ground turkey over medium high heat until cooked through, and no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a large bowl. (To freeze, set aside to cool.)
Drain and rinse great northern beans.
Puree onion until smooth, dice celery and carrots, mince garlic. Add to the bowl with the cooked turkey.
In same large bowl, combine, chicken stock, cooking sherry, diced tomatoes, green chilis, tomato paste, spinach, Herb de Province, basil, salt, chili powder, and bay leaf. mix well.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
Let the cooked ground turkey cool completely, then add remaining ingredients. Transfer to a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze flat.
THAW AND COOK
Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Pour contents into a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Right before serving, garnish with fresh minced parsley, if desired.
Calories: 149kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 563mg | Potassium: 530mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3775IU | Vitamin C: 6.8mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 2.7mg