This delicious Italian Turkey and Spinach Chili can satisfy the hungriest of armies. It is packed full of meat, delicious seasonings, and tons of vegetables that even your pickiest of eaters won’t notice.
Need a delicious, warm, and healthy meal to meal to feed a large group? Look no further! This Italian Turkey and Spinach Chili is super flavorful and makes a ton. The use of ground turkey makes it a healthy alternative to beef chili.
Plus, the garnish of parsley keeps the flavor light and fresh, even if it has been sitting in your freezer for months. This is a great meal to have sitting in a crock pop warming up on a chilly day. Let’s get cookin’!
Italian Turkey and Spinach Chili
This delicious chili can satisfy the hungriest of armies.
- 2 lbs. (.91 kg) ground turkey
- 16 oz. (500 mL) chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cooking sherry
- 15 oz. (425 g) can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. (235 g) can of great northern beans, drained
- 1-6 oz. (175 g) can green chilis
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1-8 oz. (250 mL) spinach, frozen and chopped
- 2 celery ribs about 1/4 cup (60 mL)
- 3 carrots about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 1 medium onion about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 6 cloves garlic about 3 tsp. (15 mL)
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) Herb de Province
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL )dried basil
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) salt
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh parsley, minced, for garnish
- In a large skillet sauté ground turkey over medium high heat until cooked through, and no longer pink in the center. Transfer to a large bowl. (To freeze, set aside to cool.)
- Drain and rinse great northern beans.
- Puree onion until smooth, dice celery and carrots, mince garlic. Add to the bowl with the cooked turkey.
- In same large bowl, combine, chicken stock, cooking sherry, diced tomatoes, green chilis, tomato paste, spinach, Herb de Province, basil, salt, chili powder, and bay leaf. mix well.
MAKE IT NOW
- Transfer bowl contents to a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Garnish with minced parsley.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Let the cooked ground turkey cool completely, then add remaining ingredients. Transfer to a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze flat.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Pour contents into a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Right before serving, garnish with fresh minced parsley, if desired.
Hope you are having a happy week! Check out more of my delicious freezer meal recipes here!