This Spicy Pepper Beef dish is a bright addition to any menu rotation. With a clearly Spanish influence you are hit with fragrant mint and subtle cumin, with the fiery depth of spicy peppers, but not too spicy, because we like to keep it family friendly around here!
The intricate flavors of this Spicy Pepper Beef meal is just as good as you will find at your local Spanish restaurant. Even better, you can make it ahead of time, freeze it, and cook it at any time. My two cents, make ahead a lot of Spicy Pepper Beef because you will crave it all the time.
- 3 lbs. 1.5 kg beef roast
- 1 green bell pepper large about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 1 medium onion about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 2-6 oz. 210 g can diced green chilis, medium
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL honey
- 1-1.06 oz. 31 g packet Grill Mate Zesty Herb
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL corn starch
- 2 tsp. 10 mL salt
- 1 tsp. 5 mL cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup 60 mL cilantro, fresh, for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL mint, fresh, for garnish
- Slice beef roast in half-length wise, then slice it into 1/4 inch (6.35 mm) thick pieces. Make sure to cut against the grain of the meat, not with it.
- Dice bell pepper into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces. Puree onion until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine pureed onion, full contents of the can of diced green chilis, honey, grill mate packet, corn starch, salt, and cayenne pepper stir until honey and corn starch are dissolved.
- Place sliced beef, diced bell pepper in a 5 QT (4.75 L) slow cooker. Pour contents of bowl over the top. Stir lightly. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours, on hi 2-3 hours. Mince mint and cilantro for garnish, if desired.
- Pour sliced beef, diced bell peppers and the contents of the bowl into a 1-gallon (3.79 L) freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible, and seal well. Freeze
- Place frozen bag in a large bowl in the fridge for 24 hours to thaw. Pour thawed contents of bag in a 5 QT (4.75 L) slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours, on hi 2-3 hours. Mince mint and cilantro for garnish, if desired.