Try as I might, if I leave a jar of hot fudge in my fridge, I can’t seem to keep my fingers out of it. Or my fruit, or cookies. Pretty much anything dippable in going in, and before I know it – there’s none left for our ice cream!
Lucky for them I played around in the kitchen and came up with this Freezer Friendly Hot Fudge Sauce! This is great for two reasons:
- There will ALWAYS be hot fudge available, and
- If it’s frozen hot fudge, I’ll be less tempted to eat it.
Not totally un-tempted, just less so.
I bet it tastes like a slab of chocolate straight from the freezer…
Oh stop it, Karrie. On to the recipe!
Freezer Friendly Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe
It all starts with 5 super simple ingredients – which will also make you feel great about feeding it to your family! No high fructose anything in this fudge!
12 ounces chocolate chips, semi-sweet
1/4 cup butter, unsalted
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (OR mint extract if you’re feeling a little fancy!)
Combine everything except the extract in a glass or metal bowl, and set the bowl up over a half-full pot of boiling water. You could also use a double boiler instead, if you happen to have one.
Watch everything melt, and mix it all up really well with your handy dandy spatula.
The magic takes between 5-7 minutes, but with some patience and a little licking of the spatula, you’ll have a smooth saucy looking sauce.
It’s almost ready at this point.
Once everything is melted and pretty, whisk in your extract.
Now it will all start to come together and as it cools, it will look just like that decadent hot fudge you love…because it is!
Serve it up right away over some homemade ice cream, or cool it completely, then pour it all into a freezer bag and freeze it up. When you’re ready to use it again, remove it from the freezer, thaw in fridge, and then heat it at 10 second intervals in a glass bowl in the microwave until it’s the right consistency. BE CAREFUL heating it, though – they don’t call it hot fudge for nothing! If it burns you, you’ll be weeping through licks of fudge.
If the fudge is a little more thick than you’d like when you reheat it, just add a bit of milk to it, and give it a good whisk. Voilà! Freezer Friendly Hot Fudge Sauce, perfect for every sundae!
Freezer Friendly Hot Fudge Sauce
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla OR mint extract
- Combine all ingredients, except extract, in a medium glass bowl.Place bowl over a medium sized pot that has been half filled with water. (creating a double boiler)Heat over medium high heat. Stirring occasionally, every 2 minutes, for about 5-7 minutes.Once all the ingredients have been melted together, remove from water pot, add extract.Now, whisk vigorously until well blended, about 1 to 2 minutes. It will look like decadent hot fudge, because it is!Serve hot, or cool completely and then pour into a freezer bag and freeze.Remove from freezer, thaw in fridge, and then heat at 10 second intervals in a glass bowl in the microwave until the right consistency. DO NOT OVER HEAT! It will burn!*if they fudge is a little more thick than preferred, and a little milk to it, and give it a good whisk. Voilà!