Soup season is on! Mmmmm….soup.
Today I am sharing my beloved Homemade Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup recipe – that tastes even better than Panera in my opinion. I am not kidding. This stuff is amazing. Like drop-what-you-are-doing-and-make-this-soup-right-now amazing.
My whole family LOVES this soup. Well, all except my youngest. But he doesn’t like anything except peanut butter and green peppers. He’s crazy.
This from scratch creamy cheesy broccoli soup is so rich and creamy. It’s perfect for fall and winter.
Plus you want to know the best part? It works GREAT at a freezer meal stored in a ziploc bag. Even though there is some dairy in it, when I have reheated this recipe after freezing it comes out just as good as it was when it was freshly made.
The secret to this recipe is in the cheese. You gotta have fancy cheeses, man. It’s a must. I am a fan of regular old cheddar but if you really want the perfect texture that allows this to work as a freezer meal and get the taste that will blow your taste buds to the moon you must follow the directions and buy fancy cheese. Trust me on this.
Homemade Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Homemade Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup is so rich and creamy. It’s perfect for fall and winter!
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup onion pureed or finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli chopped fresh medium
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1.5 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup half and half I used fat free
- Dash of garlic salt
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese I used apple smoked
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the broccoli, onion, garlic, carrots, bay leaf and chicken broth to a pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat simmering for 15 minutes. I have the lid half on the pot so steam can escape a little.
- When you have about 5 minutes left of the broccoli mixture start the cream sauce.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add flour. Whisk together while it cooks for 3-4 minutes. When your veggies are done, slowly pour in just the liquid from the boiling vegetables. It’s totally fine if a few veggies slip inside the pot. Wisk quickly as soon as the liquid hits the butter/flour mixture. After that thickens a little add in the vegetables, half n half and dash of garlic salt. Mix slowly until heated though. Remove from heat and add in shredded cheeses. Then add salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
- Freezing Directions: Prepare soup as directed above and allow to cool. Divide into quart or gallon freezer bags, label, and freeze. To serve: reheat on stove top or microwave until heated through. Enjoy.
Let me know if you try out this cheesy broccoli soup recipe! I would love to know if you love it as much as I do.