What would you say if I told you that you NEVER have to buy expensive dryer sheets again? Keep on reading…
True or False: The only way to get soft, non-static, and delicious smelling laundry is to use dryer sheets.
Although dryer sheets can help with the above mentioned laundry issues, it is only because they are infused with chemicals and artificial fragrances that allow them to do their job. Plus, the sheets are wasteful, not eco-friendly, and expensive.
Get rid of dryer sheets forever and replace them with homemade dryer balls! Dryer Balls do everything dryer sheets do (plus more!), are easy to make, and are easy on the wallet. You only have to make these balls once and they will last a lifetime. Plus, they help to circulate the warm air in your dryer, which means dryer clothes in less time (hello money savings). Plus, they fluff your clothes too!
100% Wool Yarn: $4.19
Old Pantyhose: $.00
3 drops Purify: $.22
Note: 100% Wool Yarn is normally $6.99 per spool at your local craft store. However, they always have 40% off coupons so make sure to use those when buying this. One spool will make approximately 1.5 balls (depending on what size you make them), so you will need to buy 4 spools to get my recommended six softball-size dryer balls.
Total: $4.41 for 1 1/2 balls
$17.64 for 6 balls
100% Wool Yarn: The most important part of making these dryer balls is to ONLY use 100% wool yarn (or other 100% animal yarn). Wool yarn contains natural fibers that, when put into hot water, fuse together. That is what allows for the ball to become one solid object as opposed to a bunch of loose strings.
Old Pantyhose: We all have at least one pair of old, ugly, and too small pantyhose deep in our dresser drawers. Now is a time for them to finally be of use! Pantyhose allows the dryer balls to keep their shape and to not unravel during the washing and drying cycle.
Purify Cleansing Blend: Purify is an exclusive combination of essential oils that purify and eradicate odors in a natural, safe way. This uplifting blend combines citrus and pine essential oils that leave an airy, fresh scent on surfaces and in the air.
How to Make Dryer Balls:
100% Wool Yarn (or other animal yarn)
Purify Cleansing Blend
1. Wrap the yarn around around your middle and index finger 8-10 times before removing. Continue wrapping the yarn tightly around each other until you have a ball roughly the size of a softball.
2. Cut the yarn and tuck the loose end into the ball.
3. Cut a leg off of your pantyhose and place the ball at the bottom (toe area) of the pantyhose. Tie a knot securing it in place.
4. Repeat until you are out of yarn.
5. To felt the dryer balls, they must be washed and dried on the hottest setting. If your water does not get hot enough, boil some water and place the balls in a bowl and fill with boiling water. Let them soak for 5-10 minutes before putting them in the dryer. Also, it may take a few cycles in the dryer before the balls are completely dry. Be patient! You don’t want to rush the process and have the dryer balls not fully felt together.
6. Once the balls are thoroughly felted and dried, remove from panty hose. They may stick a little but should easily pull away. Now you can use them!
7. I just keep my dryer balls in the dryer at all times. Before I start a load of laundry in the dryer, I just put 3-5 drops of Purify (or any other oil that I am in the mood for) directly on the dryer balls and turn the dryer on as usual. Just a heads up that they can get noisy in the dryer from banging around, but it is totally worth it.