I am so excited
to be kicking off #freez
ermealweek with one of my newest and most delicious recipes called Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas!
I love fajitas, but all the slicing…Ugh!! I just don’t have the time these days. I do, however, have the time to dump a few ingredients into a my Instant Pot, slow cooker or even a freezer bag. That is what makes these Instant Pot shredded beef Fajitas perfect for these busy months. And even though Instant Pot’s are all the rage right now, I did include directions for folks that want to use their slow cooker instead. And for reals… you guys are gonna love this recipe. I was so thrilled when I discovered a way to get all the delicate fiery flavor of fajitas into a freezer friendly Instant Pot meal, and so was my family!
Chorizo gives just the right kick and taste of authenticity in this recipe, and the great thing about chorizo is you can by low fat, low sodium, chicken based, pork based, whatever you want. So many choices! I usually buy a basic pork based chorizo, unless I am trying to cut the fat, then I will buy a chicken based or vegetarian chorizo and use lettuce leaves in place of tortillas.
Holy guacamole, folks, these fajitas are good… speaking of which, guac would probably taste really great on these too.
I have included in this Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas recipe directions for Instant Pot AND Slow Cooker, because I know not everyone out there has an Instant Pot yet. This way you still can make this awesome delicious freezer meal!!
Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas (Slowcooker too)
- 1 onion pureed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 12 oz ground chorizo
- 1-1/2 lb beef roast or beef chuck steak
- 1Peel and quarter onion. Using a high-powered blender or food processor puree onion until smooth.
- Dice bell pepper.
MAKE IT NOW
- INSTANT POT: Place pureed onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and garlic into instant pot or pressure cooker. Break up raw ground chorizo into one-inch pieces right into instant pot. Add beef roast or steak. Stir gently until combined. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 60 minutes. Let it naturally release, about 10 minutes. Shred roast, removing any fatty pieces, then place back into pot and stir to combine. Drain excess liquid if desired. Serve meat mixture in warmed tortillas and garnish with fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- SLOW COOKER: Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until roast is tender. Shred roast and serve as directed.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Place pureed onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and garlic a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Break up raw ground chorizo into one-inch pieces directly into bag. Add beef roast or steak. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw or Quick thaw by running under hot water until meal can be broken apart. Transfer contents into instant pot or pressure cooker. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 60 minutes. Let it naturally release, about 10 minutes. Shred roast, removing any fatty pieces, then place back into pot and stir to combine. Drain excess liquid if desired. Serve meat mixture in warmed tortillas and garnish with fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- To make in slow cooker instead of instant pot cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until roast is tender. Shred roast and serve as directed.
Loved this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Instagram @happymoneysaver and on Pinterest @happymoneysaver for more money savin' recipes!
More amazing Instant Pot freezer meal recipes are coming your way!! Stay tuned!
—> See MORE of my Freezer Meals recipes here.
P.S. I have tons of beginner information on getting started and even tips for advanced freezer meal cooking in my new cookbook called Seriously Good Freezer Meals. Please head on over and pre-order yourself a copy! Inside there are menu plans and 150 of the BEST ever tasting freezer meals I’ve ever created. For reals.
And if you love freezer meals consider joining my private facebook group called THE FREEZER MEAL CLUB. I’d love to have you join us!
Head over to instagram this week January 15-21, 2018 for #FREEZERMEALWEEK – and enter the challenge + giveaway!! Over $600 worth of fantastic freezer meal prizes!
Comments & Reviews
Bailey young says
Hello! Quick question!
If I cut the recipe in half to make half tonight and then freeze the other half (not cooked yet), how does that effect the pressure cook time of 60 min? I’d only be cooking half the beef and chorizo at a time basically. It’s just me and my husband so we couldn’t go through the whole recipe before getting tired of it or wasting it. Thanks for your Amazing content!
Ooh I am not sure. The pressure really tenderizes the meat. Maybe lower the time to 45 minutes and check it?
Fajita is a cut of beef, the skirt steak. These are not fajitas, they are shredded beef tacos 🙂
That being said, they look great. I love adding some raw onion and fresh salsa to mine. 🙂
What is the thing holding up your gallon bag in the picture?
It’s called a baggie holder. 🙂 They sell them on amazon. Very cool and useful! But not necessary to have, just for fun.
Do you leave the beef whole or do you cut it up? Was just a little confused about adding it in and then stirring to mix.
Left in in whole. 🙂
So fast and so easy to make. And we loved it. Two giant thumbs up!