I am so excited
to be kicking off #freez
ermealweek with one of my newest and most delicious recipes called Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas!
I love fajitas, but all the slicing…Ugh!! I just don’t have the time these days. I do, however, have the time to dump a few ingredients into a my Instant Pot, slow cooker or even a freezer bag. That is what makes these Instant Pot shredded beef Fajitas perfect for these busy months. And even though Instant Pot’s are all the rage right now, I did include directions for folks that want to use their slow cooker instead. And for reals… you guys are gonna love this recipe. I was so thrilled when I discovered a way to get all the delicate fiery flavor of fajitas into a freezer friendly Instant Pot meal, and so was my family!
Chorizo gives just the right kick and taste of authenticity in this recipe, and the great thing about chorizo is you can by low fat, low sodium, chicken based, pork based, whatever you want. So many choices! I usually buy a basic pork based chorizo, unless I am trying to cut the fat, then I will buy a chicken based or vegetarian chorizo and use lettuce leaves in place of tortillas.
Holy guacamole, folks, these fajitas are good… speaking of which, guac would probably taste really great on these too.
I have included in this Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas recipe directions for Instant Pot AND Slow Cooker, because I know not everyone out there has an Instant Pot yet. This way you still can make this awesome delicious freezer meal!!
Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas (Slowcooker too)
- 1 onion pureed
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 12 oz ground chorizo
- 1-1/2 lb beef roast or beef chuck steak
- 1Peel and quarter onion. Using a high-powered blender or food processor puree onion until smooth.
- Dice bell pepper.
MAKE IT NOW
- INSTANT POT: Place pureed onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and garlic into instant pot or pressure cooker. Break up raw ground chorizo into one-inch pieces right into instant pot. Add beef roast or steak. Stir gently until combined. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 60 minutes. Let it naturally release, about 10 minutes. Shred roast, removing any fatty pieces, then place back into pot and stir to combine. Drain excess liquid if desired. Serve meat mixture in warmed tortillas and garnish with fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- SLOW COOKER: Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until roast is tender. Shred roast and serve as directed.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Place pureed onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes, beef broth, and garlic a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Break up raw ground chorizo into one-inch pieces directly into bag. Add beef roast or steak. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw or Quick thaw by running under hot water until meal can be broken apart. Transfer contents into instant pot or pressure cooker. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 60 minutes. Let it naturally release, about 10 minutes. Shred roast, removing any fatty pieces, then place back into pot and stir to combine. Drain excess liquid if desired. Serve meat mixture in warmed tortillas and garnish with fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- To make in slow cooker instead of instant pot cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until roast is tender. Shred roast and serve as directed.
More amazing Instant Pot freezer meal recipes are coming your way!! Stay tuned!
P.S. I have tons of beginner information on getting started and even tips for advanced freezer meal cooking in my new cookbook called Seriously Good Freezer Meals. Please head on over and pre-order yourself a copy! Inside there are menu plans and 150 of the BEST ever tasting freezer meals I’ve ever created. For reals.
And if you love freezer meals consider joining my private facebook group called THE FREEZER MEAL CLUB. I’d love to have you join us!
Head over to instagram this week January 15-21, 2018 for #FREEZERMEALWEEK – and enter the challenge + giveaway!! Over $600 worth of fantastic freezer meal prizes!
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...