Dumpster diving for coupons is definitely not a new concept, but thanks to TLC’s Extreme Couponing, the practice has recently been thrust into the spotlight. While many will exclaim, “Eewww!” over such a crazy pastime, these giant metal treasure chests contain hundreds – if not thousands – of dollars worth of awesome coupons!
If you’re ready to take a giant leap (or tumble over the side) into the wild world of dumpster diving, here are some tips to help get you started:
- Step Stool: Unless you’re over 7 feet tall, you’ll want to be sure to bring a step stool or an old milk crate to help get you in – and most importantly, OUT – of the dumpster.
- Grabbing Tool: Preferably not your son’s toy one ( trust me on this. Ahem) for those hard to reach places. A sharp pole for “picking” works well, as does a 3-prong garden cultivating tool.
- Gloves: Although most recycle bins are fairly clean, digging through newsprint leaves you prone to blackened fingers and paper cuts. (Ouch)
- Lysol Wipes/Hand Sanitizer: Because you never know… 😉
- Box or plastic tub with a lid to keep your treasure – err…coupons in.
- Ponytail Holder: Dumpster diving is hard work! Plus, those bins can get pretty toasty inside during the summer months! A water bottle might be a good idea as well.
Tips – Both Legal & Fun
- Legal Advice: While most cities consider recycle bins and “trash” public domain, there are some places that highly frown upon such frugal exploits. Also, recycle bins located behind businesses or apartment complexes are generally off limits. Always check with your local police department, business or apartment manager first, just to be sure! (Remember: handcuffs make poor fashion accessories!)
- Kids + Dumpsters = FREE Fun: Chances are you have at least one child in your family who would LOVE to go diving for buried treasure! Give your little ones a toss and watch them smile if you have an open bin . Consider offering a prize to the best coupon hunter, or treating the group to a fun snack afterwards (with one of your coupons, of course)! 😉
Confession time! Do you dumpster dive for coupons?