Like most people I use lemons occasionally in my recipes. I usually buy one of those big, bright bulk bags of about 8 lemons and set them in a bowl on my table for that bold splash of color until they are ready to be used. Then when I need the juice of a lemon, I use about half of it and toss the rest in the trash.
Well, you know me–I hate to throw anything away that could be useful! But other than looking at that beautiful bowl of lemons and the occasional lemon squeeze in my dinner, there’s only so much you can do with them. Or so I thought!
Here are 10 NEW WAYS YOU TO USE LEMONS in your house…
1. Cleans graters: After shredding soft cheese or sticky foods, use the cut lemon to clean both sides of the grater and get rid of any residue.
2. Cleans and freshens the fridge: You always want to keep the space where you store your food clean preferably without chemicals. Using lemons to wipe down the insides of the fridge is a great way to achieve that.
3. Makes soggy lettuce crisp: Add juice from half a lemon in a bowl of cold water. Then add your lettuce into the bowl. Refrigerate for one hour. Dry the leaves off and eat!
4. Cleans and brightens clothes in the laundry: Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice to your cycle instead of bleach. You can also soak white linens in hot water with lemons to brighten your laundry.
5. Glass cleaner: Lemons clean water stains and marks off glass vases, glasses or bowls.
6. Cleans tarnished brass and polishes chrome: Rub your chrome or brass fixtures with a lemon to keep them sparkling.
7. Keeps rice from sticking: Add ½ teaspoon of lemon juice into your rice to keep it fluffy and not clumpy. It works great with fried rice!
8. Brighten aluminum pans or bowls: Cut up a lemon and rub the cut side of the lemon all over the aluminum. Buff it with a soft cloth to brighten it right up!
9. Treats dandruff: Simply rub lemon slices directly on your scalp to treat dandruff. The citric acid in lemons help fight the dandruff.
10. Cleans microwave: Stick half a lemon in a bowl of water and cook for one minute. The grime in your microwave will easily wipe off.
How do you use lemons in your home? Anything to add to this list?