Let the aroma of Christmas fill your home with these homemade Aromatherapy Christmas Ornaments with essential oils. This is a great project for the family to do together.
Ah, the smell of cinnamon in the air, it must be the holidays! Make these super fun and easy Aromatherapy Christmas Ornaments to get your home smelling and looking ready for the holidays. I love making these ornaments with my kids and hanging them on our Christmas tree. They love picking out their own cookie cutter shape for their ornaments. It has turned into a fun holiday tradition! Plus, the addition of essential oils helps to keep the rich aroma lingering all season long and, when the aroma fades, you can just add another drop of essential oil on the ornaments to keep the scent going. This is awesome for those who have artificial trees and want a continual aroma of the holidays.
HOW TO MAKE AROMATHERAPY CHRISTMAS ORNAMENTS
1. In a large mixing bowl, add applesauce and ground cinnamon. Mix until a dough-like consistency is formed. You may need to add more ground cinnamon to help make the mixture thicken so it holds together better.
2. Add Cassia, Ginger, and Wild Orange essential oils. Knead until oils are thoroughly mixed in.
3. On a large flat surface, roll out your dough until it is around 1/4 inch thick. It helps to roll it out on a piece of wax or parchment paper for easy clean up.
4. Using your cookie cutters, cut out shapes in the cinnamon dough and place them onto parchment lined baking sheets. Using your straw (or anything that can make a small hole) make a small hole at the top of your ornament. This is where you will hang your string to hang the ornaments.
5. Once all the dough is used up and on baking sheets, place them into a preheated 200 degree oven for 2-3 hours or until your ornaments are dry. You can also let them air dry too. It just may take a couple days.
6. When the ornaments are completely dry, tie a ribbon through the hole making sure it is long enough to successfully hang on a tree. At this point, you can further decorate your ornaments if desired.
7. Hang on your tree and enjoy the fruit (and aroma) of your labor. They should stay fragrant for quite a while, but when the aroma does start to fade, just add a drop or two of your favorite holiday-inspired essential oil onto each ornament. These ornaments are good to use for years to come. Just make sure you store them carefully during the off season. I like to wrap them in tissue paper and place them in a sturdy bin.
Happy Holidays friends!!!!