I adore the decadent flavors of chicken cordon bleu, but the work to make it?
Not so much.
You know what else I adore?
You see where this is going right? … let me introduce you to my newest recipe creation… Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup is fresh, light, and delicious. And super easy to make too!
My family practically fought over who would get the last few scoops for seconds.
Every creamy savory bite just made me oh so happy. The ham hock really brings out a deeper and amazing flavor so don’t skip it! You should be able to find one in your local supermarket in the meat section.
Heavy cream is an optional ingredient but boy will you be happy you added it! This is what helps the soup become that creamy comfort food we all love. Just make sure not to add it until the end to avoid curdled milk.
This will be a meal your entire family will love.
And did I mention this is also a freezer meal? It is!!! Horray!!! I love being able to make ahead meals, freeze and pull it out on busy nights.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- 2 lb. skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 medium ham bone or ham hock
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 large onion about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 4 stalks of celery about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- 4 cloves garlic about 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
- 1 lb. gnocchi
- 1 cup heavy cream, opt.
- 8 oz. swiss cheese, finely grated, for topping
- Dice chicken thighs into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes.
- Puree onion until smooth, dice celery, mince garlic.
MAKE IT NOW
- In a 5 quart (4.73 L) slow cooker combine cubed chicken, pureed onion, diced celery, minced garlic, ham hock, chicken broth, water, diced ham, and gnocchi. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours/HIGH 3 to 4 hours. Add heavy cream, if desired. Top with Swiss cheese.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- In a labeled 1-gallon (5L) freezer bag combine cubed chicken, pureed onion, diced celery, minced garlic, ham hock, chicken broth, water diced ham, and gnocchi. Remove as much air as possible, seal. Freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in large bowl in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours. Pour into a 5 quart (4.73 L) slow cooker. Cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours/HIGH 3 to 4 hours. Add heavy cream, if desired. Top with swiss cheese.
See more of my freezer meal recipes here!