It’s time to dress up in peg legs and eye patches, because this Caribbean Pork Roast will have the whole family shouting “shiver me timbers” when they taste the complex, vibrant, and almost out of this world flavors that meld together perfectly in this dish. Subtle hints of peanut accompanied by delicate spices and a perfectly tender, fall apart roast is why this dish is my families new favorite.
I like to serve this dish with some rice and green veggies. Just make sure to pour some of that special sauce at the bottom of the crock pot over the rice. That’s the realllllly good stuff!
Making this dish into a freezer meal is a breeze. Just dump the trimmed roast, sliced onions, and pepper in a freezer bag. Mix all of the ingredients for the special peanut sauce in a bowl and then place into a smaller ziplock bag. I love how everything can be frozen! The only thing you need to add the day of are some limes and cilantro. It is basically heaven in a freezer bag.
Instant Pot Caribbean Pork Roast
- 3 lb. 1350 g pork roast
- 3 Tbsp. 45 mL peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. 15 mL soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL hoisin sauce
- 1-1.13 oz. 32 mL Grill Mate Pepper Garlic Marinade Packet
- 1 Tbsp. 15 mL ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. 2.5 mL red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. 5 mL salt
- 1/2 large onion about 1/2 cup (120 mL)
- 1 large bell pepper about 1 cup (240 mL)
- 1/4 cup 80 mL fresh cilantro, at time of serving
- juice of 1 lime at time of serving
- Trim any excess fat from pork roast.
- In a medium bowl combine peanut butter, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, grill mate packet, cumin, red pepper flakes, and salt.
- Slice onion and bell pepper into 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick slices.
Make It Now
- Place sliced onion in the bottom of a 5 Quart (4.73 L) slow cooker. Place Roast on top of onions. Pour sauce over the roast, then place the sliced bell peppers on top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours. Remove from slow cooker, cut into large chunks, top with some of the juices it cooked in, lime juice, and minced cilantro.
Make It a Freezer Meal
- Place trimmed roast, sliced onion, and sliced bell pepper in a labeled gallon (4 L) freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, seal well. Pour sauce into a labeled quart (1 L) freezer bag, remove as much air as possible, seal well. Freeze next to the pork roast.
Thaw and Cook
- Place Frozen contents in bags in a large bowl in the freezer to thaw 24 hours prior to cooking. Once thawed, place onions in the bottom of a 5 Quart (4.73 L) slow cooker. Put roast on top of onions, pour sauce over the roast, and top with bell pepper slices. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours. Remove from slow cooker, cut into large chunks, top with some of the juices it cooked in, lime juice, and minced cilantro.
Loved this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Instagram @happymoneysaver and on Pinterest @happymoneysaver for more money savin' recipes!
Comments & Reviews
Bernadette D. says
The Grill Mates Peppercorn Garlic marinade has been discontinued. I checked the ingredients in that marinade and think replacing with ground black pepper, garlic and Worcestershire sauce covers most of it, but I don’t know what they included in the generic “spices” description. Anyone know what else was in there that might change the flavor profile in this dish?
Penny Daugherty says
This looks so good and I want to make it. Is the marinade packet dry or is it one of the ones that are already liquid?
Its a dry packet 🙂
Penny Daugherty says
The sauce is very thick more like a paste…… Do I need to add any liquid to the crock pot?
Your pictures look like there is a broth with the pork…but there is no mention in the ingredients. Is there supposed to be any liquid frozen with the pork?
When you make pork the juices and fats are released ?
Thanks Karrie for another awesome recipe!!!