Happy money savers…. you won’t be able to stop eating this Orange Spiced Pork freezer meal. It’s so good!!! The citrus from the orange and the spice from the cloves, nutmeg, and seasoning packet will make your taste buds go wild! Seriously…so good.
Besides this Orange Spiced Pork being incredibly droll-worthy, it can also be turned into a freezer meal so you can cook it up at any given moment. Just prep everything ahead of time and stick it into a freezer bag.
Then defrost when you are ready to cook and you’re good to go.
To complete this meal, try it with some steamed rice and veggies. Just make sure to pour some of the leftover juices from the slowcooker over the meat and rice. Yum!
Orange Spiced Pork
Orange Spiced Pork recipe is a slowcooker family favorite.
- 3 lbs. .9 kg pork roast
- 1 Tbsp. 14 g butter or olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. 28 g brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. 4 g salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 pack 1.06 oz. Smoky Apple Wood Grill Mate
- 1 large orange
- 1 medium onion
- Prick roast all over with the tip of a knife. Place in a large bowl. Rub with butter or olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, cloves, nutmeg, and grill mate packet. Pour spice mixture over roast and, using your hands, rub it in very well on all sides.
- Slice the orange and the onion into 1/4-inch slices.
MAKE IT NOW
- Place onion slices on the bottom of 5 QT. slow cooker. Set Pork Roast on top of onion slices. Lay Orange slices over the top of roast. Cook on LOW 3-4 hours/HIGH 6-7 hours.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Place uncooked, punctured, and oil and herb rubbed roast in a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible. Label and freeze. In 1 Qt. freezer bag, place the sliced onion and orange, remove as much air as possible, label, and freeze next to pork roast.
THAW AND COOK
- Place the gallon freezer bag in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours to thaw. Place frozen onion slices on the bottom of 5 QT. slow cooker. Set Pork Roast on top of onion slices. Lay frozen orange slices over the top of roast. Cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours, on high setting for 3-4 hours, or until internal temperature reads 145°F (63°C) for medium, or to desired doneness. Remove from slow cooker, cover with foil and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice roast across the grain. Pour juices from slow cooker over the top.
See more of my freezer meals here.