As part of my 50 Freezer Meals in a day menu I wanted to share my enchilada freezer meal recipe. Usually the day before I start cooking all my freezer meals I will add a bunch of chicken breasts to the crockpot so they can roast slowly on low all night. That way when I wake up in the morning all the chicken is ready to be shredded or diced for the various recipes I am making.
This enchilada freezer meal recipe is one of my favorites because it is just so super easy! You can make your enchiladas as mild or spicy as you like, add sides like cilantro lime rice or beans. It is so delicious. For ease you make them up, add them to your 9×13 pan and freeze. Thaw and bake for a really short time for a quick dinner.
ENCHILADA FREEZER MEAL RECIPE
Make sure you have some Enchilada Sauce. I have quite a few great Mexican friends who have shared with me this secret: It is possible to make homemade Enchilada sauce, but honestly this stuff tastes exactly like their homemade. I have never tried to make homemade sauce before, so I am going to stick with these cans. If any of you have a different opinion or a recipe to share that makes better homemade enchilada sauce please share by leaving a comment.
Take your shredded chicken breast and add it to your shredded cheese.
Mix it up a bit.
Add in some onions if you like that sort of thing. I usually never put onions in because I am pretty much the pickiest person on the planet.
Then add in your can of Enchilada Sauce. I like the mild because these can get a bit spicy for me – I am a gringo you know..LOL.
Then you just get out your flour tortillas, heat them in the microwave a bit so that they don’t crack/split when you fold them. Have your enchilada making station all ready to go.
Add a little bit of enchilada mixture to your tortillas and wrap them up. I had way too much chicken mix I think on this one.
Pour over some enchilada sauce on the top.
Sprinkle your cheese.
Cover with foil, label and freeze. Or bake right away at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or till melty and bubbly.
Enjoy with some homemade salsa, sour cream, lettuce, beans and rice!
Now if you really want to spice up the flavors a notch you can add in some jalapenos with your mix.
Chicken Enchiladas are a freezer friendly and family friendly meal.
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 10 Medium Flour Tortillas
- 2 Cans Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 Can Black Beans
- White Rice
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place 4 raw chicken breasts into a pot of water.
- Boil on high for 20 minutes, or until chicken is shreddable.
- Then using a cutting board, shred the chicken.
- Mix cheese, onion, chicken and 1 can red enchilada sauce in a bowl. (Optional ingredients can be added at this point.)
- With a large scooper, fill each tortilla with mixture. Roll it up and place it in large 9x13 baking dish with seams down. Repeat until all chicken mixture is used.
- Pour the second can of enchilada sauce over the top.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes, until melted and bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, lettuce beans or rice.