I wanted to share this fun homemade gift that I made for a good friends birthday. There is just something special about a handmade or homemade gift that just pulls at the ol’ heart strings. The time, effort and thought that they put into it maybe? I don’t know, but I bet you can all agree. There is something beautiful in something homemade. And in this particular gift…. something yummy!
I decided to make homemade caramel and chocolate sauce. Every birthday girl wants a big ice-cream sundae for her birthday and these would be the perfect toppings!
The recipes I used are great because
1. They are super duper simple and
2. They use ingredients that I usually have on hand.
The caramel sauce is to die for. I couldn’t help but to cut up some apples and dip them right in. The Chocolate sauce is amazing too. Again, I couldn’t stop myself from getting a tall glass of milk and pouring some in. I am telling you, I will never buy the store bought chocolate syrup again. This stuff is just so much better. Best glass of chocolate milk I have ever had.
The birthday girl loved this simple gift. She loved the way it was packaged and I just knew she would love the gift even more when she went home and tried them. I wonder if I should have tied a little straw on to it. She could just drink it straight from the jars. It is THAT good. Or maybe I am just hungry right now because I am a week into my diet. Hmmmm???
To put the gift together make and pour sauces into pint or half pint jars. Then cut a large square of brown craft paper and place on lid of jar. Tie paper down with cute ribbon or string. Then go HERE and download my FREE printable tag that I created for this gift. Tag inspiration: found here.
Then you are going to want to Cut… it….. out… ( using hand motions from Joey on Full House), and glue it on! Viola! You are done. A beautiful gift that was made by you!
I think this gift is pretty much perfect for any occasion, but with Christmas coming up, how cute would this be to deliver to some neighbors?? Just an idea!
Here are my recipes for caramel and Chocolate sauce:
Delicious Caramel and Chocolate sauce
Delicious Caramel and Chocolate sauce are yummy and delicious!
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 TBSP butter
- Pinch salt
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- a dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Directions for Caramel Sauce
- Mix all ingredients except the vanilla in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes, until it gets slightly thicker. Add the vanilla and cook another minute to thicken further. Remove pan from stove top and let cool. Pour the sauce into a jar. Refrigerate until cold.
- Directions for Chocolate Sauce
- Mix together all the ingredients in a sauce pan, except for the vanilla and cook on medium heat. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy! Whatever is left, pour into a jar and refrigerate.
This post is part of my Happy Thoughts series – where we celebrate ideas for doing kind things for others. The next time you get the urge to do something kind for someone or bake something just do it! Kindness matters. See more Happy Thoughts here.