I am excited to share one of my new favorite recipes with you. It’s my make ahead chicken enchilada casserole. This recipe is so easy to make and all my kids love it, which is quite rare in my household. I use the words “make ahead” for a reason, because when I make this casserole I make it early in the day and put it in my fridge to be baked that night for dinner. Also I will often times make 2-4 extras and freeze them because it takes very little extra work and is a great freezer meal. In this recipe you layer corn tortillas, chicken, cheese and repeat and lastly top with green enchilada sauce. Easy peasy and adjustable to your likings. Sometimes we add onions, beans and corn to the layers which is also amazing, but for today I am going to show you how I make my simple kid friendly version that even grown ups love. It is one of our favorite meals!
Make Ahead Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Step 1. Cook and shred chicken. Season with enchilada seasoning and green enchilada sauce.
Step 2. Take out 14 corn tortillas and cut each corn tortilla into 6 equally sized pieces and set aside.
Step 3. Use a 9 x13 baking dish and pour a little green enchilada sauce on the bottom of pan.
Step 4. Lay down tortilla triangles to cover all sauce.
Step 5. Cover tortillas with a layer of shredded chicken.
Step 6. Cover shredded chicken with a layer of cheese.
Step 7. Cover layer of cheese with another layer of corn tortillas.
Step 8. Repeat steps 5-7
Step 9. Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the top of casserole and spread evenly.
Step 10. Sprinkle with cheese.
Step 11. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until sauce in bubbling and top is golden brown.
Step 12. Top with chopped cilantro and fresh avocado.
I am not kidding you, this casserole is so good! I hope your family loves it as much as we do. Have a great week!
Make Ahead Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a great freezer meal!
- 6 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 28 oz can green enchilada sauce
- 1 packet of enchilada seasoning
- 14 corn tortillas cut into 6 triangles each
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix the pre-shredded chicken breast with enchilada seasoning and about half the can of green enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- Using a pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 6 equally sized triangles.
- Spread a little green enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 in. baking pan.
- Start layering by laying down the tortilla triangles.
- Next a layer of chicken.
- Then a layer of cheese.
- Top cheese with another layer of tortillas.
- Repeat the layering process 1 more time. cheese, chicken and then tortillas.
- Pour the remaining green enchilada sauce over the casserole and sprinkle the top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-60 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and top is golden brown.