Make dinnertime feel extra special with this delicious Turkey Delight recipe. It is everything you could ever hope for packed in one bite.
The title of this dish tells you everything you need to know about this recipe, as this turkey dish truly is a delight to eat. This fun dish looks super fancy and will impress your pickiest of guests. However, only you will know how simple it was to make. Even better, you can make it days (even weeks) ahead of time and store it in your freezer until you are ready to bake it up and serve it.
Now, some of the instructions may seem a little intimidating, but trust me, there is no need to stress! I have even included step-by-step photos so you can see how easy it really is. So, what are you waiting for?! Go grab all of the ingredients and let’s get cooking.
- 1 package puff pastry thawed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 oz butter softened
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 lb roasted turkey breast or sliced deli meat
- 10 oz asparagus spears
- 1 oz pecans
- 1/8 cup parmesan grated
- In a small pan over medium high heat, sauté 1 tbsp garlic in 1 tbsp butter for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat, pour into a small bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, add cream cheese, butter, oregano, basil, sage, and rosemary to the bowl. Using a fork, cream all ingredients together until well blended, remove 3 tbsp, Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water.
- Unfold both pastry rectangles. Lay the dough horizontally in front of you, over lapping one sheet of dough over the other by 1 inch (2.5 cm). The fold lines should match up. baste with a little egg wash in between the dough to help it stay in place.
- Spread the large portion of the butter cream cheese blend down the center, in between the center fold lines, leaving 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) on either end and about a 1/2 inch (1 cm) in from the fold lines, evenly.
- Layer slices of the turkey breast across the top of the cream cheese blend. Don’t let it over lap. Top the turkey with the asparagus.
- Drop the three remaining tbsp of the cream cheese blend on top of the asparagus in 6 even globs.
- Rotate the whole thing so it is lengthwise. Using kitchen shears; start 1 1/2 inches from the top of the sheet of dough, at a 45° angle, cut into the dough stopping 1 inch from the center fold. Continue this method, leaving 1 inch in between each cut all the way down the dough. Repeat on the other side.
- Starting from the top; fold the top over, then take the first flap of dough on the left and wrap it over the top at a slight angle downward. Repeat with the first flap on the right side.
- Continue this method, creating a braid over the top. When you get two or three flaps from the bottom, fold the bottom up, before completing the braid.
- Brush the egg wash over the whole thing. Wrap well in plastic wrap and foil wrap. freeze on a cookie sheet.
- Bake from frozen by preheating the oven to 350°F.
- Remove all foil and plastic wrap. Rewrap with foil, creating a loose tent on top. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake 50 minutes, open top of foil and push it down around the sides. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until golden on top and 165°F in the center. Slice and serve hot.