It had been a hot minute since trying my last “crazy health fad”…as my husband likes to call it. So when a friend of mine asked for my take on oil pulling, I was ALLLL over it! I did a 10 Day Oil Pulling Challenge and L-O-V-E-D it! But like most things, I knew I could make it even better…and I decided to make some Oil Pulling Coconut Tablets.
Haven’t heard of Oil Pulling?
Oil Pulling is an ancient ayurvedic detoxification practice that involves swishing oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes, first thing in the morning. There are TONS of benefits…and not just for your mouth! The reported health benefits include:
- Reduced amount of harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Whiter teeth
- Cavity and gingivitis prevention
- Better breath
- Stronger teeth and gums
- Less jaw pain, sleep problems and sinus issues
- Alleviation of headaches, hangovers
- Improvement of skin issues such as acne, psoriasis and eczema
So, how do you do it?
- Put 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil into the mouth
- Swish for 20 minutes. Timing is important. 20 minutes is long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria. If you are just starting out, it’s perfectly fine to work your way up to 20 minutes. Just don’t go over!
- Spit oil into the trash can. DO NOT spit into the sink! Don’t swallow the oil either, it’s full of bacteria and plaque that you just worked hard to get rid of
- Rinse well with warm water
- Brush your teeth!
What oil should you use?
Coconut oil is the top choice for oil pulling, mainly because of it’s many health benefits. Traditionally though, oil pulling was done with sesame or sunflower oil, probably due to accessibility. You can use any oil that you like, just stay away from canola or vegetable oil.
What about adding Essential Oils?
Adding an essential oil to your oil pulling routine is a great way to give your health an extra boost! Remember to only use therapeutic-grade essential oils. These are the only oils safe to use as a dietary supplement and since you are swishing them around in your mouth (for 20 minutes!) you need to be safe.
So, why should you make Oil Pulling Coconut Tablets instead of just scooping out a tablespoon of oil and shoving it in your mouth? Because you shouldn’t have to figure out the hard way, like I did, that texture matters! The ONE struggle I had when doing my 10 day challenge was “chewing” the oil. That first 30 seconds is tough! You are going to have to “chew” your oil whether you’re poppin’ tablets or scooping straight from the jar, but what I have discovered over time is that melting coconut oil ONCE to make the tablets controls the texture much more than a jar left to fluctuate in temperature. Having tablets at the ready makes my mornings go a little smoother as well, since, let’s face it…mornings aren’t really my thing!
Oil Pulling Coconut Tablets
Melt the coconut oil
Pour into silicone molds (these are great)
Add 1 drop of essential oil to each individual mold
Put in the fridge to set up.
Once set, pop out of the silicone mold and store in a glass container in the fridge.
TIP: Place the candy mold on a cookie sheet. If you forget to do this, moving the molds to the refrigerator will be messy!
1 Cup of Coconut Oil: $6
24 Drops of Essential Oil: $3-6 (depending on the oil you choose)
Total Cost: $9-12
If you decide to make oil pulling part of your morning routine, you’ll be buying coconut oil anyway. It takes less than 5 minutes to make these tablets…which makes it completely worth it to me! And since the only comparable product on the market is Cocowhite, and a 2 week course will cost you $30…I’ll stick to making my own Oil Pulling Coconut Tablets!
Oil Pulling Coconut Tablets
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- Optional essential oil like peppermint
- Melt the coconut oil
- Pour into silicone molds
- Add 1 drop of essential oil to each individual mold
- Put in the fridge to set up.
- Once set, pop out of the silicone mold and store in a glass container in the fridge.
>>>> Check out more of my homemade DIY posts here.