Who knew chicken wing flavor packs could double as a chili seasoning? I didn’t, but I thought, mango habanero sounds so yummy, so why not give it a try? I am so glad I did! I will be exploring more seasoning packets in the future when making my soups, stews, and chilis. You will see in the recipe I only use 1/2 of a packet of the seasoning. That is because, while I love the flavor of peppers, I really don’t like the heat, and neither do my kiddos. Feel free to use more if you want that extra bit of spice.
This Red and White Chili Freezer Meal is a great dish to have at hand whenever you just need a quick, easy, and healthy meal to have at home.
It freezes beautifully and can be placed in a slow cooker during the day to keep the soup warm.
Perfect for those days where your family is just coming and going throughout the night. They can just grab a warm bowl of soup at their convenience. No more stress!
The fresh lime juice and cilantro give this chili a nice Mexican twist.
Red and White Chili
Who knew chicken wing flavor packs could double as a chili seasoning? This red and white chili recipe is so hearty and delicious.
- 1 lb. 500 mL boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 16 oz. 500 mL Chicken Broth
- 2-15 oz. 435 g cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2-15 oz. 435 g cans small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. 435 g can great northern beans, drained
- 2-6 oz. 175 g cans diced green chilis
- 1 large onion about 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper about 1 cup (250 mL)
- 4 cloves garlic about 2 tsp. (10 mL)
- 1/2-1.06 oz. 31 g Mango Habanero Wing Seasoning Packet
- 2 Tbsp. 30 mL Cumin
- 1 Tbsp. 15 mL Coriander
- 2 tsp. 10 mL chili powder
- 1 tsp. 5 mL salt
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro for garnish, about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
- Juice of 2 limes
- Dice chicken thighs into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Drain and rinse great northern, garbanzo, and small red beans.
- Puree onion until smooth. Dice bell pepper into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Mince garlic
- In a large bowl combine cubed chicken, rinsed beans, chicken broth, green chilis, pureed onion, diced bell pepper, minced garlic, 1/2 seasoning packet, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and salt. Stir well.
MAKE IT NOW
- Transfer bowl contents to a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Right before serving, add lime juice; stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Transfer contents of bowl to a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze flat.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Pour contents into a large (approx. 5 quart) slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 6 hours. Right before serving, add lime juice; stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro.