Winter blues got your sniffling and down? Fear not, this Sausage and Spinach Soup freezer meal is sure to cure what ails ya…and it’s gluten free too!
This delicious soup was made for a friend who is living with Celiac Disease. At the time she was suffering from a winter illness. So, my sister and I set to work in the kitchen creating the perfect soup for our sick friend. And of course… she LOVED it!!
The broth is a delicate balance of all the right herbs paired with classic veggies and savory sausage that are sure to boost your immunity and put that pep back in your step.
You can make ahead and freeze this Sausage and Spinach Soup too!
This Sausage and Spinach Soup freezer meal is a delicate balance of all the right herbs paired with classic veggies that are sure to boost your immunity and put that pep back in your step!
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 12 oz Aidell’s Chicken Sausage
- 1 large onion pureed
- 3 tsp minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
- 3 celery ribs diced
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 12 oz bag frozen diced or sliced carrots
- 64 oz vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Basil, dried
- 1 tbsp Oregano, dried
- 1 tsp Nutmeg, ground
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 oz boxed frozen spinach, partially thawed
- Shredded parmesan cheese optional
- Slice bacon into thin 2" x 1/8" strips. Dice chicken sausage.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon and sausage, stirring often, until bacon and sausage are crispy. Remove from heat. Using a slotted spoon remove and set aside cooked bacon and sausage, reserving bacon grease in skillet.
- Place same skillet back on medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and cook additional 2 minutes until garlic just starts to golden. Remove from heat.
- In a large stockpot add bacon and sausage, onion mixture, tomatoes, carrots, vegetable broth, basil, oregano, nutmeg, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and spinach. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then immediately reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes then ladle into bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Place soup in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Pour soup bag contents into a large stockpot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, then immediately reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool 5 minutes then ladle into bowls and serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired.
Have you HEARD? I have a cookbook coming out!!!! Inside this cookbook lives basically all my hopes and dreams for a world filled with freezer meal cooks. I have tons of beginner information on getting started and even tips for advanced freezer meal cooking in Seriously Good Freezer Meals. Please head on over and pre-order yourself a copy! Inside there are menu plans and 150 of the BEST ever tasting freezer meals I’ve ever created. For reals.