The only way this could be better is if….oh, who am I kidding? This Instant Pot Light Chicken Pot Pie is to die for!
Who doesn’t adore chicken pot pie? It tastes like home, the country side, comfort…it has everything you need to lift your spirits, satisfy your cravings, and cure what ever ails ya! Plus this recipe is lower in calories and fat than traditional Chicken Pot Pie recipes! I just love the savory and creamy goodness that chicken pot pie always provides but with trying to be healthier this has all the flavor and none of the guilt.
I am not always in the mood to make a chicken pot pie though…cut to me in the kitchen creating this fabulous, slow cooker, freezer friendly pot pie recipe.
If you want to make it even healthier, you can make your own low fat biscuits to put on top, but I am all about easy, so pop biscuits were a must for me!
I have included in this Instant Pot light chicken pot pie freezer meal recipe directions for Instant Pot AND Slow Cooker, because I know not everyone out there has an Instant Pot yet. This way you still can make this awesome delicious freezer meal!!
Instant Pot Light Chicken Pot Pie (Freezer Meal)
- 2 lbs (1 kg) boneless chicken breast
- 2 cups (500 mL) low fat chicken broth
- 12 oz (375 g) mixed vegetables, frozen
- 1 15 oz (425 g) can diced potatoes, drained
- 1/2 large onion pureed
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic, (about 2 cloves)
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) Corn starch
- 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 can pop biscuits (Pillsbury Golden Layer Flaky Biscuits only 100 calories each!)
- Dice celery and puree onion.
MAKE IT NOW
- INSTANT POT: Place chicken, celery, onion, broth, frozen vegetables, potatoes, garlic, corn starch, poultry seasoning and salt into instant pot or pressure cooker. Stir gently until combined. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, bake pop biscuits according to directions. When instant pot finished do a quick release. Take two forks, shred chicken then stir to combine. Serve in bowls with a biscuit on top.
- SLOWCOOKER: To make in slow cooker cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until chicken is tender. Add biscuits to the top, cover with lid and continue cooking 1 hour.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Place chicken, celery, onion, broth, frozen vegetables, potatoes, garlic, poultry seasoning and salt into a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag; swish to mix. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw or "Quick thaw" by running under water until meal can be broken apart.
- INSTANT POT: Transfer contents into instant pot or pressure cooker. Seal pressure cooker. Cook on manual (High) for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, bake pop biscuits according to directions. When instant pot finished do a quick release. Take two forks, shred chicken then stir to combine. Serve in bowls with a biscuit on top.
- SLOW COOKER: To make in slow cooker cook on LOW for 5-6 hours or on High for 3-4 hours, until chicken is tender. Take two forks, shred chicken then stir to combine. Mix together cornstarch and 1/4 cup (60 mL) water with fork, stir into slow cooker. Add biscuits to the top, cover with lid and continue cooking 1 hour.
More amazing Instant Pot freezer meal recipes are coming your way!! Stay tuned!
P.S. I have tons of beginner information on getting started and even tips for advanced freezer meal cooking in my new cookbook called Seriously Good Freezer Meals. Please head on over and pre-order yourself a copy! Inside there are menu plans and 150 of the BEST ever tasting freezer meals I’ve ever created. For reals.