I am so excited to share this recipe with you! I’ve perfected it over the years and I can really say it’s the Best Chicken Wing Recipe out there! My husband and son absolutely love them buffalo-ed (I think I just made that word up), they could eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner! But, once you follow this method for cooking chicken wings you can put any sauce on them that you like…BBQ, Teriyaki, Garlic Parmesan…the list goes on and on! This recipe is also great to make up ahead of time, pop them in the freezer, and have them ready to throw in the oven for your next get together…easy peezey, and so delicious!
Best Chicken Wing Recipe
Start out by bringing 6 qts. of water to a boil in a large stockpot.
While you are waiting for the water to boil, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. The foil will save you from having to clean a messy pan later…and I’m all for avoiding messes!
Preheat your oven to broil.
Then, add the whole bag of frozen chicken wings into the boiling water, be careful not to splash yourself…take it from someone that knows it hurts from experience! Boil the wings for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next, transfer the wings to the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. This is where having a spider strainer really helps! You can move a bunch of them all at once instead of having to fish them out one at a time.
Broil the wings in the oven for 13-15 minutes, until they are nice and golden brown. Then, flip them over and broil for another 13-15 minutes, or until the second side is golden brown.
While the wings are broiling, add 1 cup of your favorite prepared wing sauce to a medium saucepan on low heat. I’m adding a little butter to our buffalo wing sauce…who doesn’t love a little butter!? If it’s you, then just leave the butter out.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer all the wings into a large bowl.
Drizzle the warmed sauce over the wings and stir until they are coated well…this is about the time my husband comes wandering into the kitchen to see if he can snag a couple.
That’s it…just plate them up and get ready for crispy deliciousness! They are just as good, or even better, than the local wing restaurant in town! It’s not called the Best Chicken Wing Recipe for nothing!
Follow all of the directions above and let the wings cool completely. Place them in a large, freezer safe, zip lock bag and remove as much air as possible before you seal it. Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months. To heat, let the wings thaw in the refrigerator. Once thawed, place in an oven safe dish or baking sheet and heat at 375˚ for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Below is a printable recipe card. Enjoy!
Freezer Chicken Wings
- 2 1/2 pounds frozen chicken wings
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup prepared wing sauce
- 2 tbsp butter optional
- Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Add salt, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper and chicken wings to boiling water.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken wings to the prepared baking sheet and broil in the oven for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- In the meantime, add prepared wing sauce and butter to a medium sauce pan over low heat.
- Turn chicken wings over and broil for another 13-15 minutes, until second side is golden brown.
- Place chicken wings in a large bowl, drizzle with warm wing sauce, and toss to coat.