Recently I invested in a nice wooden cutting board. I thought that the bigger the cutting board, the better my food would turn out. I am telling you–it’s not necessarily true.
But when I bought this beautiful wooden cutting board I realized something very important. Even the best kitchen tools don’t come with instructions on how to clean it. I knew there were special soaps or cleaners that I could buy but I wanted the safest method possible since a lot of my food would be on this cutting board. So I went in search of a good solution and boy, was it easier and cheaper than I could have ever imagined!
All you need are two ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen–lemon and coarse salt.
Here is a natural way to clean and refresh your wooden cutting boards.
- Wipe or rinse off your cutting board with water.
- Shake out a dollop of salt on to the stains or in the middle of the board. Then put a little more just for good measure. The salt acts as a scrub to remove stains that normal cleaning won’t get out.
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice on to the salt. The lemon juice disinfects and gets rid of any lingering odors.
- Use the lemon as a sponge and scrub those stains away. When the salt dissolves, you can let it sit for a couple minutes to sanitize your cutting board.
- Give it a final rinse and set it upright to dry.
Do you have any tips for keeping your wooden cutting boards looking like new?
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...