Recently I invested in a nice wooden cutting board. I thought that the bigger the cutting board, the better my food would turn out. I am telling you–it’s not necessarily true.
But when I bought this beautiful wooden cutting board I realized something very important. Even the best kitchen tools don’t come with instructions on how to clean it. I knew there were special soaps or cleaners that I could buy but I wanted the safest method possible since a lot of my food would be on this cutting board. So I went in search of a good solution and boy, was it easier and cheaper than I could have ever imagined!
All you need are two ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen–lemon and coarse salt.
Here is a natural way to clean and refresh your wooden cutting boards.
- Wipe or rinse off your cutting board with water.
- Shake out a dollop of salt on to the stains or in the middle of the board. Then put a little more just for good measure. The salt acts as a scrub to remove stains that normal cleaning won’t get out.
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice on to the salt. The lemon juice disinfects and gets rid of any lingering odors.
- Use the lemon as a sponge and scrub those stains away. When the salt dissolves, you can let it sit for a couple minutes to sanitize your cutting board.
- Give it a final rinse and set it upright to dry.
Do you have any tips for keeping your wooden cutting boards looking like new?