My Great Grandmother has done it again. This time it was a Vintage Banana Cake Recipe that caught my eye. Not only did this cake turn out beautifully, it was delicious too. It was baked in layers and frosted with homemade whipped cream and chopped walnuts. YUM!! Most banana cake recipes that I have eaten have been frosted with a cream cheese frosting which is the equivalent of crack cocaine. Very addicting. I was a little concerned that this cake wouldn’t have a cream cheese frosting for 2 reasons.
1. Whipped cream is not a stiff frosting like the cream cheese stuff. How will it keep the 2 layers together?
2. Will the whipped cream provide enough flavor to the cake?
My concerns were valid. However, the cake came out nice and as I put the layers together with the whipped cream in between it seemed to hold its shape. It looked so pretty. When I cut into the cake the pressure definitely cause a little bit of the whipped cream to spill over the sides, but not too bad. Not as bad as I envisioned. As far as the flavor, so good! The whipped cream topping was the perfect complement to the sweet cake. My husband even made a comment to me about how much he liked what the cake was frosted with.
Here is how to make this amazingly good vintage banana cake recipe.
Vintage Banana Cake Recipe
To make this yummy cake you first have to cream sugar with butter. Then add the yolks of 2 eggs and beat lightly until smooth.
Next add in some sweet cream. Do you remember what that is? I learned about that when I made her chocolate jumbles recipe. I learned that sweet cream was whipping cream. Add it in and mix.
Sift in flour and baking powder.
Next chop up some walnuts, and add them along with 3 large ripe mashed bananas and a tsp of vanilla to the batter. Mix well.
Lastly add the beaten whites of 2 eggs and mix well.
Pour into 2 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. They should look a little something like this.
Remove from pan and let cakes cool completely.
Make a batch of homemade whipped cream. To learn how to make whipped cream click here. Then take out the cutest cake platter you own and start putting the cake together with the whipped cream in the center and on top.
Spread whipped cream on as evenly as you can and then sprinkle the top of cake with chopped walnuts. Now sit back and swoon. Then devour it with all your glory.
Below is the printable recipe
Vintage Banana Cake Recipe
Vintage Banana Cake is so delicious and The whipped cream topping is the perfect complement to the sweet cake.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs separated
- 4 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 large ripe mashed bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. grease and flour two 9 inch cake rounds.
- Cream sugar with butter. Add the yolks of 2 eggs, keeping the egg whites in a separate bowl for later use. Beat lightly.
- Add in 4 tbsp whipping cream, mix well.
- Next sift in flour and baking powder. Add in chopped walnuts, 3 mashed bananas and vanilla. Lastly add in the beaten whites of 2 eggs. Mix well.
- Pour batter into both pans and bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Put together with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle with walnuts.