This Freezer Meatballs Recipe is a staple in our household. They are super simple to make and it’s easy to double the batch. I am always stocking up the freezer with them because my family loves them so much. You can eat them on a sandwich, with pasta, or just by themselves! They are delicious!
Easy Freezer Meatballs Recipe
First, preheat your oven to 375˚. Then, chop up 1 medium onion in a small dice. You will most likely be crying by the time you are done…but these meatballs are totally worth a good cry.
Add 2 lbs. of ground beef, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, and the diced onion to a large mixing bowl.
Add 3 Tablespoons of tomato paste.
Then, add 3/4 cup of plain bread crumbs.
I like to add 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. I love the little bit of heat it brings, but you can leave this out if you like. Or you can add even more if you like things extra spicy!
Next, add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, and 1 Tablespoon of dried basil. You can just add them straight to the mixing bowl with all of the other ingredients. I just thought they all looked pretty in this little white bowl.
Now it’s time to get messy! Combine all ingredients until mixed well. You can use a spoon if you like, but I think your hands work the best to get everything incorporated.
Then, shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on a well greased baking sheet. I like to line mine with aluminum foil and then spray the foil with cooking spray.
Bake them for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
This Freezer Meatballs Recipe is so easy to freeze. Just let them cool completely, put in a freezer safe zip lock bag and place in the freezer. When you are ready to eat, let them thaw in the refrigerator and heat as needed. You can reheat them in the microwave, oven, or in a pot of sauce on the stove top. So easy!
Below is a printable recipe card. Enjoy!
Freezer Meatballs Recipe
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion finely diced or pureed
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- In a large bowl add in your 2 eggs and lightly beat them with a fork or whisk. Then add to bowl the 2 lbs ground beef, 1 diced or pureed onion, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, 3 tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp dried basil and your 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes if using. Mix to combine either using your hands or a strong mixing spoon.
- Shape into 1-1/2 inch balls and place on parchment lined rimmed baking sheet, spacing at least 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) apart.
MAKE IT NOW
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 20 minutes or no longer pink inside. Let cool 3-4 minutes, then serve.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Place baking sheet with raw meatballs into freezer and flash freeze until hard, about 1 hour. Transfer frozen meatballs to a labeled gallon sized freezer safe bag. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Place in freezer and freeze until ready to cook.
COOK FROM FROZEN
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place meatballs on a lightly greased rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs in preheated oven for 30 minutes or no longer pink inside. Let cool 3-4 minutes, then serve.
COOK FIRST, THEN FREEZE & REHEAT
- If you'd like to cook them first and then freeze them, bake them at 400° for 20 minutes or until no longer pink inside, then allow to cool completely. Add to gallon freezer bag, seal bag and freeze. To quickly reheat just remove a 1-2 out of bag and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes and serve as desired. Or place in oven and bake until warmed through.
If you love to cook, try these out!
- Karrie’s Favorite Inexpensive Kitchen Gadgets
- Making 50 Freezer Meals in one Day
- Freezer Meal Tips for Beginners
- 10 Easy and Cheap Camping Meals
- Unique and Cool Camping Equipment For the Whole Family