If I had to choose one recipe to eat weekly for the rest of my life, this one would be it, hands downs. This Asian lettuce chicken wraps recipe is that good, my friends. Forget P.F. Changs – and I don’t use those words lightly. The ‘Chang used to be my holy grail of lettuce wraps until I met heaven wrapped in romaine. The rainbow of veggies mixed with tender chicken and all combined in a dreamy sauce is the stuff that fairy tales are made of. Even better, this recipe freezes beautifully, so double it up and freeze half for a quick weeknight meal!
Meet the perfect Asian lettuce chicken wraps recipe.
Because the dinner hour is usually super crazy, I try and chop my veggies and throw the sauce ingredients together sometime in the morning and store them in my fridge. Once that’s done you can have dinner together in a snap. As in, less than 20 minutes, snap.
Also, every time I make this Asian lettuce chicken wraps recipe I have to have a moment of silence once all of my veggies are chopped and staring at me from my cutting board. The reds! The greens! The purple! The orange! Why Michelangelo or Rembrandt or Monet never used chopped veggies on a cutting board for their subject matter I’ll never know. So, do this girl a favor and bask in the glory of your cut veggies. Amen.
This recipe works well with either cooked, diced chicken breasts or cooked ground chicken. My local grocery store only carries dark meat ground chicken, and while it’s still tasty, I prefer the taste of the breasts. Don’t worry about that last statement. These are absolutely divine with chopped peanuts included, but because we have a peanut allergy in our house, I choose to omit them.
Without further adieu, here is my beloved Asian lettuce chicken wraps recipe.
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast meat or ground chicken
- 1/2 cup carrots diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup snap peas diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 tsp minced peeled ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped (optional)
- 4 tbsp oil
- leaves Green leaf or romaine lettuce
- cooked rice and hot sauce for serving
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 T oil
- 1 tsp hoisen sauce found in Asian aisle at you grocery store
- Chop veggies and chicken. Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-medium high heat in a large pan or wok. Add chopped veggies and sauté until they are tender-crisp, about 3-5 min. Add chopped chicken and peanuts (if using) and stir to combine. Pour half of sauce over chicken/veggie mixture and continue to cook until the mixture is heated thoroughly.
- Serve immediately with rice in green leaf or romaine lettuce leaves. Garnish with extra green onions and serve with extra sauce on the side.
- If freezing, store the cooked chicken and veggie mixture after you've added the sauce in a gallon sized freezer bag. Defrost in fridge and reheat in skillet over medium heat until heated through. Serve over rice in lettuce leaves.