This Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken recipe is one of the most simple Instant Pot chicken recipes you’ll ever make. It’s the trifecta of culinary perfection: It’s super simple, crazy delicious, and you can easily freeze it for later!
What Makes This Teriyaki Garlic Chicken Recipe So Amazing?
- Taste. This dish is absolutely bursting with rich teriyaki and garlic flavor! The chicken comes out cooked perfectly, with each bite seeming more tender, moist and delicious than the last. It’s one of those dishes that will become an instant classic in your household, as it did with mine. It’s just such a wonderfully comforting dish, and it’s something the whole family will enjoy!
- Convenience. I mean, what Instant Pot recipe isn’t convenient? If you haven’t invested in an Instant Pot yet, let this be the recipe that encourages you to dive all in. A homemade, delicious and healthy dinner that’s done with minimal effort in just 30 minutes? Yes, please!
- Easy. This Garlic Chicken dish is just so simple! You know those nights where your family is hungry but you just don’t feel like cooking anything? This is the dish you make for those nights. It’s hands down one of the easiest family-friendly recipes I have in my dinner arsenal, and my kids absolutely love it.
- Freezer-Friendly. The recipe is super simple as is, but it can be made even easier by preparing it as a freezer meal! Simply freeze the ingredients and have a complete meal you can make by simply thawing and tossing the ingredients into your pressure cooker! That means you can meal prep this dish in as little as 10 minutes on the weekend so you can enjoy it during the week without having to put much effort into dinner.
What Goes Into This Instant Pot Chicken Dish?
This garlic chicken recipe is another one of those easy and delicious recipes that you likely already have all of the ingredients for! It’s full of simple and healthy ingredients you can easily find in your local grocery store.
You’ll only need:
- Light brown sugar
- Teriyaki sauce
- Garlic cloves
- Cracked black pepper
- Chicken breasts
- Sesame seeds
- Cornstarch slurry (optional)
How Do You Make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken?
Ready for a mind-blowingly simple and delicious meal? It’s just as easy to make as it is delicious. This is all you need to do:
Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, teriyaki sauce, garlic, black pepper and sriracha in a bowl.
Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts and stir to combine.
Add the chicken with sauce to your Instant Pot. Seal the pot and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
When it’s finished cooking, do a quick release.
Remove the chicken to a plate and turn your Instant Pot on Saute setting.
If your sauce is too thin, take ¼ cup of water and add 3 tbsp cornstarch, stir into a slurry. Add the slurry to the Instant Pot and cook until it thickens.
Serve over rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Teriyaki Chicken a Freezer Meal?
Combine the marinade and chicken together in a gallon size Ziploc bag. This will keep in the freezer for 3 months. When you’re ready to make it, thaw the bag overnight in the fridge and then continue the steps above for preparation in the Instant Pot.
Can I Use Frozen Chicken to Make Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken?
Yes, you can definitely use frozen chicken to make this teriyaki chicken recipe! That’s one of my favorite things about cooking with the Instant Pot. No matter whether your meat is frozen or thawed, the Instant Pot cooks it to absolute perfection!
No need to thaw the chicken or add extra time to the cook time. Just anticipate that it will take a little bit longer for the pot to come to pressure before it begins the actual pressure cooking cycle.
Can I Use Chicken Thighs?
Why yes, you can certainly use chicken thighs in this recipe! You’ll just have to cook it for less time since thighs tend to cook faster than chicken breasts. I’m not exactly sure of the time since I used breasts in my recipe, so if you happen to use thighs just leave a comment and let me know what times worked best for you!
Can I Use Homemade Teriyaki Sauce?
Not only can you use homemade teriyaki sauce in this recipe, but I actually encourage it! It really adds a depth of flavor to the dish that you couldn’t possibly get from a store bought sauce, and it’s so much healthier! If you’re looking for a fantastic teriyaki sauce recipe, check out the one in my Teriyaki Beef and Broccoli recipe!
Want More Simple Instant Pot Recipes?
- Instant Pot Pork Chili Verde – Juicy tender pork in a flavorful green pepper broth makes this insanely delicious pork chili verde.
- Easy Sweet and Tangy BBQ Ribs – Sweet, tangy, sticky, and melts off the bone – everything you could ever want in Instant Pot BBQ ribs.
- Turkey Bolognese Freezer Meal – This low-fat, and darn near guilt-free Turkey Bolognese is extremely decadent!
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – Enjoy a rich, delicious and homemade soup that’s so much better than the canned stuff!
- Cajun Chicken Sausage and Rice – Delectable Cajun cooking with minimal effort!
- 7 Healthy Instant Pot Freezer Meals in 2 Hours – Delicious recipes made in the Instant Pot with a printable shopping list!
If you make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken, I would love to see it! Snap a picture of your skillet and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #happymoneysaver and tagging me @happymoneysaver!
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup store bought teriyaki sauce or homemade will work, too!
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha optional
- 4 chicken breasts
- cornstarch slurry optional to thicken the sauce at the end
- chives minced for garnish
- sesame seeds for garnish
- Combine brown sugar, ketchup, teriyaki sauce, garlic, black pepper and sriracha in a bowl.
- Pour over the chicken breasts and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken with sauce to your Instant Pot. Set to sealing and pressure cook on high for 15 minutes.
- When it’s finished cooking, do a quick release on the Instant Pot.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and turn your Instant Pot on saute setting.
- If your sauce is too thin, take ¼ cup of water and add 3 tbsp cornstarch, stir into a slurry. Add the slurry to the Instant Pot and cook until it thickens.
- Cube the cooked chicken or you can serve the chicken breast whole.
- Serve over rice, sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives.
To make this a freezer meal:
- Combine the marinade and chicken together in a gallon size Ziploc bag. This will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
- When you’re ready to make it, thaw the bag overnight in the fridge and then continue the steps above for preparation in the Instant Pot.
Want more recipes? Subscribe to HappyMoneySaver to get the newest recipes, meal plans and freezer meal tips directly in your inbox! Sign up at the top of the page!
Amy Martin says
Delicious and so easy!
Question… chicken breasts can vary so much in size depending on how you buy them. Can you tell me oz or lbs how much chicken you use?
Another one that will be made on repeat in our house, the chicken was cooked to perfection and I barely had time to clean the mess I made making this, so fast! Next time I’ll have to switch the teriyaki sauce, this was way too sweet for my taste.
Shelly B says
This seems like a very small amount of liquid. I’m concerned about getting a burn notice. You never have this problem? I’m excited to try it and freeze ahead as well! My favorite recipes; thanks!