Cajun Chicken Sausage and Rice recipe made in a pressure cooker. This flavorful quick and easy weeknight meal uses healthy chicken sausage, flavorful rice and cajun spices, and it takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
If you love pressure cooker recipes that are perfect to make ahead and freeze as much as I do you are gonna love this one!
It’s a spicy cajun dish that you can make in under 30 minutes! And it’s filled with oh-so- delicious al fresco fulled cooked chicken sausage, bell peppers, and onions with a spicy flavorful rice you are sure to want seconds on.
The best part? I seem to always keep this chicken sausage in my regular grocery shopping haul every month. We use it so much. If my husband isn’t adding it to his homemade spaghetti recipe, we are using it for our family favorite One-Skillet Chicken Sausage Tortellini recipe. So it’s always on hand and helps us enjoy not only time-saving meals but also quality meals on busy nights.
It is SO good. My whole family loves this recipe.
Of course, the real star of the show in this meal is the al fresco chicken sausage. I use the Roasted Pepper and Asiago flavor as it’s just perfect in this meal. So full of just the right delicious spices that add just what this recipe needed.
My husband is a HUGE sausage fan and most the time when I’m making meals that include it he’s standing over my shoulder begging to know what’s for dinner. When I tell him it’s this Cajun Chicken and Rice meal his eyes just light up.
Luckily he doesn’t have to wait very long as I can just add the ingredients into the pressure cooker, saute the veggies, add the ingredients and put the lid on. Then it’s done in 10 minutes.
And you get to just add the uncooked rice right to the pressure cooker! It’s my favorite lazy dinner mom hack.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND RICE IN A PRESSURE COOKER
- Using the Saute feature, add your diced onion with some oil into the Instant Pot and cook it a few minutes.
- Add in your garlic and sausage to the pot.
- Saute sausage.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients including the uncooked rice, stir the pot.
- Close the lid, seal and cook for 10 minutes!
- Enjoy your full meal… mmmmm! Below is the full recipe you can print off.
WHAT IS THE BEST CONTAINER TO USE TO FREEZE IN?
While I do love using gallon sized freezer bags for the majority of my freezer meals, when I’m doing Pressure cooker freezer meals I use containers. With these you can take your freezer meals out of the freezer, and pop the frozen meal right into your Pressure Cooker without defrosting or thawing. I use these 64 oz freezable plastic containers with lids. And I label them with these Sharpie peel-off markers (just write on the lids).
HOW LONG WILL THIS KEEP IN THE FREEZER?
This Cajun Chicken and Rice freezer meal recipe is best used within 4 months.
Pressure Cooker Cajun Chicken Sausage and Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 12 oz al fresco Roasted Pepper & Asiago Chicken Sausage
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Peel and dice onion, mince garlic and dice bell pepper.
- Slice all 4 of the chicken sausages into ¼ inch sized slices.
- Add the 2 tbsp olive oil and diced onion to the Pressure Cooker. Put on the saute feature and when you hear it gently sizzing, stir often until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, and sliced sausage and saute 1-2 minutes or until little some of the edges get golden on the sausage.
MAKE IT NOW
- Add diced bell pepper, 1-1/2 tbsp tomato paste, 1-1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and 2 cups chicken broth. Stir gently to combine. Place lid on and seal. Cook on High pressure for 10 minutes, then do instant release to release the steam. Stir gently and serve immediately.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Transfer sausage and onion cooked mixture to a medium bowl to cool. Add Add diced bell pepper, 1-1/2 tbsp tomato paste, 1-1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and 2 cups chicken broth to a labeled container. Add cooled sausage mixture. Seal container and freeze.
COOK FROM FROZEN
- Run outsides of container under hot water for a few minutes until it can be released. Pour into Pressure cooker. Place on saute feature and saute until you have around 1/4 cup of liquids in the bottom. Place lid on and seal. Cook on High pressure for 10 minutes, then do instant release to release the steam. Stir gently and serve immediately.
Other Great Freezer Meals
- One Skillet Sausage Tortellini and Veggies Freezer Meal
- Instant Pot Pork Chili Verde
- Instant Pot Peanut Chicken Satay
I can’t wait for you to try out this awesome Cajun Chicken Sausage and Rice recipe! Let me know if you love it, too!Thank you to AL FRESCO for sponsoring this post!
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...