This delicious campfire apple crisp foil pack dessert is full of sugar and spice and everything nice. Fast and easy too, making it the perfect finishing touch to any summer meal, whether you are on a backyard picnic or enjoying all of nature’s glory on a fun family camping trip.
Apples. Apples. More apples! It’s the perfect fruit and one my kids love to eat. Maybe it’s all the color or maybe it’s because apples are so sweet with a nice crisp bite. They’re basically candy in fruit form. And I love how affordable they are, especially when they’re in season!
Here’s the best part – apples make a GREAT ingredient to throw onto the grill!
Let me just gush about my most recent favorite camping dessert for a moment, grilled apple crisp!
These apple crisp camping desserts are so sweet, crispy, and picks up an irresistible smokey flavor when you grill them on the campfire, which is my favorite way to make them!
Even better? My kids love this scrumptious easy dessert because they can help get the freezer packs ready to go – it’s just easy to make, which is one of my favorite reasons I LOVE these apple crisps! After all you are supposed to TRY to relax when camping, right? Once you have put all the sweet pieces and parts into the foil packets, place them on the grill, fire or even in the oven and take a break. This dessert practically cooks itself.
WHAT APPLES ARE BEST FOR APPLE CRISP?
In my opinion, granny smith are the best for this recipe – they’re just the right amount of tart and sweet, giving this recipe a little bite. Don’t like granny smith and think they’re too tart? Try honeycrisp instead. Honeycrisp apples are a good alternative but are slightly sweeter.
CAN YOU MAKE AHEAD & FREEZE THESE GRILLED APPLE CRISPS?
One reason I absolutely LOVE this dessert is because it’s so easy to prepare ahead and freeze! If you’d like to take these on your next camping trip, just wrap foil packs and put them in a freezer bag. Easy peezy!
When you’re ready to camp, take the assembled packs with you and store them in either the fridge or ice box until ready to make. You can store these campfire apple crisp desserts in the freezer for about 3 months.
WHAT TOPPINGS SHOULD I USE ON APPLE CRISP?
I definitely recommend topping these with salted caramel sauce, ice cream, or cool whip – it takes this delicious dessert to the next level! You could also sprinkle a little extra cinnamon sugar on top.
FINAL NOTES & TIPS
Which foil is best? There is regular aluminum foil, heavy duty foil and even non-stick foils. For this dessert I would recommend using heavy duty foil so you can hold all of the goodness in. But can you make them in regular foil? Yes! Just double up on your foil and you’re good to go!
Baking this in the oven? No problem! Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place foil packets onto a baking sheet. Then place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until apples are cooked through and crumb topping is golden brown. Carefully open foil packets, top with caramel sauce drizzle, ice cream or cool whip if desired and serve.
Campfire Apple Crisp Foil Packs
- 6 Granny Smith apples thinly sliced (you can peel or not, either way works)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup butter melted
- Aluminum Foil
- Optional: salted caramel sauce ice cream or cool whip
- Crumb topping: Combine the sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter and mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Apple layer: In a large bowl combine brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Add apples and stir until all coated with mixture.
- Cut out (12) 18 inch sheets of heavy duty aluminium foil. You will use two pieces of foil for each packet.
- Divide apple mixture equally onto each foil packet. Add 1 cup of crumb topping over each packet of apples. Seal and close up packets.
Make it Now
- Oven: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place foil packets onto a baking sheet. Then place into preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes or until apples are cooked through and crumb topping is golden brown. Carefully open foil packets, top with caramel sauce drizzle, ice cream or cool whip if desired and serve.
- Grill: Grill foil packets directly onto the grill for 12-15 minutes or until apples are cooked through and crumb topping is golden brown. Carefully open foil packets, top with ice cream or cool whip if desired and serve.
- Campfire: Your campfire should have been going for a while so that you have a nice 1-2 inch layer of hot & ready white coals. Place your foil packets on a grill 2 inches above the coals and cook for 12-15 minutes or until apples are cooked through and crumb topping is golden brown.
- Carefully open foil packets, top with ice cream or cool whip if desired and serve.
Make it a Freezer Meal
- Place foil wrapped packets into a gallon sized labeled freezer safe bag. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible and freeze.
Thaw and Cook
- Place bag in refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Then bake as directed in the make it now instructions above.
Here are a few of my other BEST FREEZER DESSERTS:
The Master Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
<< This is the one, the only make-ahead and freeze chocolate chip cookie recipe in the whole world. It just is.
Malt Milkshake Chocolate Ice Cream Pie
<< One of my favorite desserts especially in the summer. It’s so perfect, so creamy, so satisfying – perfect after a hot day!
Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
<< I crave these mostly in the fall, but can eat them year round too. I love ’em.
More freezer dessert recipes from friends that you will love!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie from The Pioneer Woman
- Strawberry Lemon Icebox Pie from The Crumby Kitchen
- Frozen Peppermint Pie from Thirty Handmade Days