I am addicted to green smoothies. It all started when I watched this movie – and I have been having green smoothies almost everyday since then. Who knew these things were so delicious??
I love the way they make me feel.
I love that I am getting tons of healthy greens in one big jar a day to give my body what it really wants.
Oh how I love thee dear green smoothies….
Now that my garden this year is starting to bring forth much spinach, cilantro, parsley and lettuce I am able to save a lot more money on making these lovely smoothies. I usually go out in the morning and clip off some of my fresh herbs and spinach from my garden. Then bring it right in to wash and blend.
This was the first year I have grown spinach and just look at this leaf!
I can’t believe how thick and beautiful it is. The spinach in the store that I buy are not nearly as thick, beautiful and fresh as this one is.
Okay, so let me share my favorite Green Smoothie Recipe with you. It’s great for beginners and my kids LOVE it!
MY FAVORITE GREEN SMOOTHIE RECIPE
The first thing you will want to do is run out and buy a Vitamix or Blendtec for around $400. Okay, ain’t nobody can afford that right? Well, when our last tax return check came in I finally bought one. I have been dreaming of this thing for about 4 years and I am SO glad I just did it. My family has used this thing every single day. If you don’t have a fancy blender, that’s okay too. You can use any blender for this recipe, it just might take some extra help with blending up your veggies.
I first add some water in my blender. Usually I fill it up to be around 1/4 full of water as you can see in the picture above.
Next I fill it to the brim with fresh spinach leaves or kale leaves. I also add a pinch of fresh parsley and cilantro.
Sometimes I also add a little bit of fresh ginger and a celery stalk when I am feeling extra wild. You can really add in whatever greens you like.
Then I turn the blender on low and gradually increase the speed.
Then I put it on full power for about 30-45 seconds so the greens are really fine.
Then I turn off the blender. At this point you can add in more greens if you like, sometimes when I like my smoothie extra thick I just grab another handful of spinach leaves and add it in.
After your greens are all mixed up I add about a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate.
Then about a cup of frozen pineapple.
A handful of frozen strawberries + a banana (not pictured).
Every once in awhile I also throw in an apple (cored. )
Then blend until thick and smooth.
And it’s done.
Mmmmm…I do love these green smoothies!
My Favorite Green Smoothie
- leaves Spinach or Kale
- Pinch of Fresh Parsley
- Pinch of Cilantro
- Fresh Ginger optional
- 1 Celery Stalk optional
- 1 tbsp Orange Juice Concentrate
- 1 cup Frozen Pineapple
- Handful of Frozen Strawberries
- 1 Banana
- 1 Apple Cored optional
- Add water to blender, fill the blender approximately 1/4 full.
- Next fill the blender to the brim with fresh spinach leaves or kale leaves.
- Add a pinch of fresh parsley and cilantro.
- If you desire, add a little bit of fresh ginger and a celery stalk or any other greens you like.
- Turn the blender on low and gradually increase the speed.
- Then put it on full power for about 30 to 45 seconds so the greens are really fine.
- Turn the blender off.
- You can add in more greens if you like. If you like an extra thick smoothie, grab another handful of spinach leaves and add it in.
- After your greens are all mixed up, add in about 1 tbsp of orange juice concentrate.
- Then add 1 cup of frozen pineapple.
- A handful of frozen strawberries and banana.
- Every once in awhile I also throw in an apple (cored).
- Then blend until thick and smooth.
Let me know your thoughts…does the idea of green smoothies gross you out? Have you made them before? What else do you add to yours?