Have fresh herbs all year round with this simple Preserving Herbs with Olive Oil hack.
Summer is coming to an end and it’s time to start harvesting my garden so I can take advantage of all of its beauty and flavors. I love growing herbs in my garden because I can just walk to my backyard and pick fresh herbs for my meals all summer long. Nothing beats the flavor of fresh Basil and Rosemary, and I want those flavors to last all winter long. Thankfully, they can! There are two different ways I like to preserve my herbs at the end of summer; drying or freezing. Today, I will be focusing on how to freeze your leftover herbs so you can enjoy them for months to come. They are even frozen in olive oil so that you can just pop them into your pans for instant flavor. This is such a helpful tip you can use all year round when you have leftover herbs. When stored in the freezer in an airtight bag or ice-cube tray, they can last for months.
Preserving Herbs with Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil (or butter)
Ice Cube Tray
1. Wash and dry your herbs so they are nice and clean.
2. Chop up your herbs so they can fit nicely into each ice-cube tray.
3. Fill up each ice cube tray with herbs and top with olive oil or melted butter.
4. Place in freezer and you’re done!
5. To use, any time you want to add some fresh herbs to your meal, simply pop an “herb ice cube” out of the tray and place it into a hot pan. The heat will instantly start to melt the oil and release the wonderful flavors and textures of the herbs.
Make sure to check out my “5 Top Herbs to Keep Around for Cooking” post for ideas on meals you can make with herbs.
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...