This Easy Burrito Pie Freezer Meal is super easy to throw together and is always a big hit.
Plus it’s a freezer meal. Yay!
There are few things in life that never get old. For example, cartoons. I don’t care how old you are, it’s rare to find someone who doesn’t enjoy some type of cartoon. There are usually memories of growing up attached to them or maybe it’s just the simplicity of a cartoon.
Who knows, but I can say that Mexican food is something that never gets old for me. There are just so many ways to make it. Plus, every time it’s made, it has great flavor. Even some of the worst Mexican food I’ve had was at least good enough to eat without needing to spit it out and skip a meal. Now, I’m sure Mexican food has been and can be messed up. However, I have not run into that problem yet which makes me very happy.
We are big fans of Mexican food in my house which is why I’ve come up with this Easy Burrito Pie Freezer Meal! It’s made up of many layers of refried beans, taco meat, diced tomatoes, and the list goes on. On top of all that, each layer is filled with gooey cheese and soft tortillas.
Everything about Mexican food is wrapped up in this one little burrito pie and it’s a freezer meal!
Easy Burrito Pie Freezer Meal Recipe
Putting this together is SUPER easy!
Start with a layer of tortillas in your sprayed casserole dish, cut to fit if needed.
Next layer in your beans – you can even mix up the refried beans for black beans. Whatever your family likes. This recipe is so versatile and easily mixed up based on what you have on hand!
Continue to add your layers of tomato, cooked taco meat, cheese, and tortillas….
Finish it off with a tortilla and cheese layer and cover it in plastic wrap
Put the plastic cover on your baking dish and it’s ready for freezing!
When you’re ready to cook, simply take it out to dethaw for 24 hours in refrigerator and bake covered with foild at 350 degrees until warmed through.
Burrito Pie Freezer Meal… SO EASY!
Tip: Cook up extra taco meat for Doritos Taco Salad later in the week!
This Burrito Pie is simple to throw together and is a real crowd pleaser! Make ahead and freeze for an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Tomato - Diced
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 1 Bag Tortillas
- 1 Can Refried Beans
- 1 Can Enchilada Sauce
Preheat oven to 350 for cooking immediately
1. Begin by choosing your dish. I used a small square glass dish with a matching lid since this works well for freezing meals.
2. Brown your hamburger then drain it. Add the taco seasoning and mix well. Set aside.
3. Chop your tomato into small square pieces or however you prefer them. Set aside.
4. Compare the size of your tortillas to your dish, and if need be, cut them down to fit in the dish better. I cut mine into square pieces to match the dish which made it much easier to layer.
5. Spray your dish with nonstick spray and then lay your first tortilla down.
6. Coat the tortilla with a layer of refried beans, then taco meat, and then cheese.
7. Lay another tortilla down and coat with refried beans, then a layer of tomatoes, then cheese.
8. After about halfway filling the dish with layers, pour the enchilada sauce over the top. You may not need a lot so just make sure it coats the layer you’re on and stop there.
9. Lay your next tortilla down and coat with refried beans, taco meat, then cheese.
10. Repeat this as many times as needed, depending on the depth of your dish. Your last layer can be whatever you like it to be but try to not let the meat be the last layer. I learned this the hard way. If it’s in the last layer, be sure to cover it with something else such as cheese or a tortilla.
11. Cover with plastic wrap and pan cover before freezing.
12. When ready to cook: Dethaw 24 hours in the refrigerator. Bake covered with foil for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees until warmed through. Uncover and broil until cheese is bubbly and delicious!
This recipe is very versatile and can be easily mixed up. Try adding black beans, chilis, top with lettuce or avocado. The options are endless!