I’ve just about eaten my weight in watermelon and ice cream so far this summer.
I can’t help it! The melons have just been so crazy sweet and juicy, and the ice cream!
Well, let’s just say the family has taken one too many trips to get a cone on those extra warm nights. Which is why I need things like fruit and granola cereal recipes in my life – to balance out the bad snacking habits I seem to develop in the summertime.
You may have seen my Frugal Homemade Granola from a few years ago floating around the site. It’s still a favorite of mine, but I stumbled upon a new recipe that I’ve fallen hard for.
This Homemade Granola Cereal Recipe is the bomb!
Why buy a box off the grocery store shelf, when you can make a wholesome, more frugal version at home, with ingredients you choose?!
It’s so simple to make, it’s silly. Dump everything in a big bowl.
Stir it together real good with your favorite wooden spoon.
Spread it out on a baking sheet. (If you make the full recipe, you’re gonna need two, trust me.)
Bake, cool, and eat!
This granola cereal recipe is great by itself with some cold milk, but I also love it on any sort of yogurt or with fresh fruit.
I’ve even topped my frozen yogurt with it!
OK, OK…so maybe it was just regular ice cream. But the granola balances it out, right??
Either way, it’s a delicious addition to your pantry, and even a half batch will last you a while! For a larger family of granola-lovers, go big or go home.
As always, I’m including a printable recipe card for your cookbook-stashing convenience!
Homemade Granola Cereal
- 3 cups honey
- 1 cup butter melted
- 10-11 cups rolled oats not quick-cooking
- 1/2 cup flaxseed
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 bag flaked coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients together in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake, stirring after every 15 minutes until the granola is very light golden brown. It should take 20-30 minutes.
- If you like your granola crunchier with a toastier flavor, bake it a little longer, keeping a close eye on it - if it gets dark it will taste burnt.
- Will keep for two weeks in an airtight container.
Looking for more healthy eats! Take a look at these!
- Cilantro Lime Chicken with Avocado Salsa
- Wild Orange Smoothie
- Homemade Wheat Thins
- No Bake Homemade Chewy Granola Bars
- Best Bran Muffins
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...