This is a recipe that my family will eat a couple times per month. We had it last night for dinner in fact. 🙂
Total Cost for this Meal:
At Save-A-Lot I bought some bags of brown rice for .79 per bag. I used half a bag for my family = .40
The Chicken was bought at Albertsons for $1.88 lb -I used 1.5 lbs = $2.82
The Can of Pineapple was .79 at Winco — all other ingredients I just always have on hand.
Total cost= $4.01 for my family of 6 for dinner!
Honey Lime Chicken Recipe
- 4 Chicken Breasts cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits keep the juice!
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Corn starch
- Cut the chicken into strips or bite sized pieces and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Heat oil in a skillet over med-high and add chicken.
- Cook chicken until golden brown.
- Drain the pineapple, keeping the juices.
- Add 1/4 cup of the pineapple juice to the skillet.
- Cover and simmer 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add honey, lime juice, soy sauce, cornstarch and remainder of pineapple juice to the pan.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until thick and clear, about one minute.
- Add chicken and pineapple tidbits last and heat through.
- Serve over hot rice and it's cool to garnish with lime wedges or Chow Mein noodles.
- To freeze this recipe, cook it all up as directed above. Then let it cool, and add it to a gallon size freezer bag. Label and freeze. Then warm it up and serve with fresh hot rice.
Food is my love language. But so is saving money. So I like to combine the two a lot and make thrifty make ahead and freeze meals to save time. Because life is busy, and freezer meals can come to the rescue for all of us. And yes, they actually CAN taste good. Read more...