I wasn’t quite sure what to call this pie, so I just went with the obvious. And if you are wondering…YES! It really is the best strawberry pie recipe ever! With a shortbread (no roll) crust, a luscious creamy base and an easy to make orange glaze, it’s no wonder it’s on top of my list, and I’m sure it will be on top of yours as fast as you can take your first bite!
Start by combining flour, powdered sugar and cold butter cubes into a food processor pulse just until combined, you should feel no lumps of butter as you drag your fingers through it. It should resemble coarse cornmeal and stick together when pressed. Form into a ball and place in the fridge for 3o minutes.
Press into a 9 inch pie plate and bake for 9-10 minutes in a 425 degree oven. Let cool.
Make your filling by mixing cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla and orange zest. Spread into your cooled crust.
Slice your strawberries and layer onto the cream filling. Try not to let the cut side of the strawberries touch the crust, it will soak up the juice and make it soggy (unless you are planning on eating the whole thing within the hour — wink wink! Place the pie in the fridge while you make your glaze.
Squeeze one orange into a small saucepan to get about half a cup of fresh orange juice. Add 1 tsp. of cornstarch and 1 Tbs. powdered sugar and whisk until no lumps remain (SUPER TIP: Make sure your OJ is cold, and you should have no problem with lumps). Heat the mixture to a boil for just over 30 seconds. Let cool to room temperature and drizzle on your pie if you want it nice and gooey. If you want it super fancy, you can brush the glaze on top of your strawberry layer, and reserve the rest to drizzle while serving.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
Slice yourself up a nice big slice and pat yourself on the back, you are officially celebrating National Strawberry Month with style, or should I say ‘taste’?
And I know you are wondering if I shared… of course I did, I am not a monster! Sheesh!
The easy to print recipe is below, and if you have some extra strawberries left over, try my chia seed strawberry freezer jam. It’s quick, healthy and oh so good!
The BEST Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup of butter cubed and chilled
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar
Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese softened
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice chilled
- 1 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3 cups of sliced strawberries
- Combine flour, butter and powdered sugar to food processor and pulse just until no butter lumps remain, your mixture should resemble coarse cornflour and stick together easily when pressed between your fingers.
- Combine mixture into a ball and refrigerate for 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Press crust into a 9 inch pie plate and bake for 9-11 minutes.
- Let cool.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla and orange zest to a mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes. Spread on top of crust and place in the fridge.
- Slice strawberries and layer them on top of the filling and return to the fridge.
- Squeeze one orange into a small saucepan to get about half a cup of fresh orange juice. Make sure juice is COLD.
- Add cornstarch and powdered sugar and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Slowly heat stirring constantly, remove from heat once it has boiled for 30 seconds.
- Let glaze cool to room temperature.
- Drizzle or brush glaze over strawberries.
- Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
If you love to cook, try these out!
- Karrie’s Favorite Inexpensive Kitchen Gadgets
- Making 50 Freezer Meals in one Day
- Freezer Meal Tips for Beginners
- 10 Easy and Cheap Camping Meals
- Unique and Cool Camping Equipment For the Whole Family