Today I am sharing with you my Tuna Casserole Freezer Meal recipe. I know, I know, tuna casserole has a bad rap, but you haven’t tried MY Tuna casserole yet. I used to be one of those who avoided this dish but when I was a newlywed my sister shared with me how she makes it and it is now a family favorite. I won’t lie, it is mild in the tuna department and it is not loaded with veggies like so many I have had before, but this recipe is good. Can you really go wrong with noodles, cheese, tuna, a yummy white sauce and more cheese? I think not. Plus this recipe is a perfect freezer meal. When we make this for dinner we always double or triple it and freeze it to eat at a later time. Last time that I made my 50 freezer meals in a day I made about 4 pans of this and it was one of the first things gone. Next time I think I will make 6 or 7 because my kids love this stuff so much.
Tuna Casserole Freezer Meal
Make a simple white sauce.
Cook noodles, drain and rinse with cold water. In a large bowl mix noodles with cheese, white sauce, tuna, salt, pepper, onion salt and celery salt.
Add to 9 x 13 baking pan and sprinkle with cheese.
To freeze: Cover pan in foil and label it. Place it in a large freezer safe bag and place in freezer until ready to use.
When ready to eat, take out of freezer in the morning and let thaw completely. Remove foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.
Cheesy, cheesy goodness. Mmmmmmm…….
Below is the recipe:
Tuna Casserole Freezer Meal Recipe
Tuna Casserole is a perfect freezer meal!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely shredded tuna
- 16 oz box of elbow noodles
- 1 batch of white sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- dash of onion salt
- dash of celery salt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Make a simple white sauce by melting butter in a pan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour over melted butter and whisk constantly for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Then add in chicken broth and whisk quickly together. Cook over heat until it’s thick and bubbles up. Add in tuna. Set white sauce aside.
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix drained pasta, white sauce, tuna, mayonnaise, 1 cup cheese, and seasonings.
- Put into a 9 x 13 baking pan and add remaining 1 cup of cheese to the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes.
To freeze: Before baking, cover with foil, label and bag it. When ready to eat, let thaw completely, remove foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.