This is the absolute best chicken burrito recipe ever. First of all, it’s tasty. I mean SUPER tasty. I’m talking authentic Mexican restaurant tasty. And it’s easy to make (you gotta love that!). And since it only needs 5 ingredients plus oil and spices, it’s economical. Winner, winner, chicken burrito dinner!
I know, I know… tacos have been all the rage the past few years. But let’s be real: tacos are a snack. Big, hearty appetites need something that’s just as delicious, but heftier. That’s where the chicken burrito comes in.
Stuffed full of yummy ingredients, then wrapped up and ready to eat. This southwestern chicken burrito recipe makes no apologies for what it is – A two-handed hunger buster filled with the flavors of Mexico: Rice, beans, cheese, and tender chicken, wrapped in a warm flour tortilla.
I love the versatility of the chicken burrito recipe. All the ingredients are self-contained and portable. It’s great on-the-go, packed as a lunch, or. And when it comes to family dinners, you can build your meal around this entrée. Extra rice, beans, barbecued corn, or even a small green salad with cotija cheese and salsa ranch dressing. Just a few extra touches, and you can easily take your chicken burrito to the next level.
This chicken burrito recipe needs just 5 ingredients, plus oil and seasoning. All you need is chicken breast, chili powder, ground cumin, salt, ground pepper, olive oil, Spanish Rice, black beans, cheddar cheese, and flour tortillas.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CHICKEN BURRITO RECIPE
Season the chicken with chili, cumin, salt, and pepper.
In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and chicken. Cook the chicken until tender, around 7 minutes.
Remove from the pan and place on a cutting board to rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice into strips.
In the meantime, cook your Spanish Rice according to package directions – or make this delicious homemade Spanish Rice. Allow to cool.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, drain and rinse black beans until rinse water runs clear. Set aside and allow to drip until mostly dry.
Assemble your burritos. Place 3 tablespoons of Spanish rice and 4-5 slices of chicken, 2 tablespoons black beans, and about 2 tablespoons shredded cheese to each tortilla.
Pull in each end of the tortilla and roll up tightly into a burrito shape.
MAKE IT NOW
PAN: Spread a little bit of soft butter on the outside of the burrito. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add burrito and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden, then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until golden.
OVEN: Wrap tortilla in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
MICROWAVE: Wrap burrito in a moist paper towel and cook in microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until heated through.
FREEZE FOR LATER
Place uncooked chicken burritos into a gallon freezer-safe bag, seal, remove as much air as possible and freeze. If you plan on removing burritos from the freezer for lunches or on-the-go individually, wrap each in foil first and then place them in the bag so they don’t stick together.
COOK FROM FROZEN
OVEN: Remove from freezer. Take foil-wrapped burrito and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
MICROWAVE: Remove foil and wrap frozen burrito in a moist paper towel and cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN BREAST FOR CHICKEN BURRITO RECIPE?
This recipe only becomes spicy if you use extra chili powder. Otherwise, they’re simply flavorful.
Some other great recipes to freeze include these healthy homemade hot pockets and chicken burrito bowls.
HOW TO ROLL CHICKEN BURRITOS
- Start with a warm tortilla. A warm tortilla makes the tortilla more pliable and easier to wrap.
- Pull the bottom half of the burrito over to meet the top half.
- Then, pull the top of the tortilla back. This will form the filling into a roll.
- Fold one side in of the tortilla and lay on top of the filled roll.
- Fold the other side of the tortilla and lay it on the other side of the filled roll so that the filling is securely in the burrito.
- With both ends folded, tightly roll your tortilla until you have a perfect, beautiful burrito.
- Lay it seam down for presentation or for freezing.
HOW MANY CALORIES PER CHICKEN BURRITO?
If you make this according to the recipe, each chicken burrito will contain 337 calories. For a lighter version, avoid using sour cream. Instead, substitute Greek yogurt mixed with a squirt of lime juice. You can also reduce the amount of cheddar cheese by a third or even half while adding a little grated parmesan to boost the flavor. And instead of Spanish rice, try using steamed white or brown rice to keep the heartiness while cutting out calories. Adding salsa or hot sauce are great ways to cut calories without sacrificing that authentic Mexican flavor.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS CHICKEN BURRITO RECIPE AHEAD OF TIME?
This is a perfect make-ahead meal for both the freezer and the fridge. You can prep the entire batch, and then grab-n-go as needed.
PRO TIPS/RECIPE NOTES
Turn these into “wet burritos” by making them enchilada style. Simply pour a can of red or green enchilada sauce over a pan of your burritos, top with extra shredded cheddar cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
Sautéed onions and bell peppers add excellent flavor and depth to this recipe. Cook the chopped onions and peppers in a separate pan with olive oil until the veggies are translucent, then combine them with your chicken when filling your burritos.
Be sure to use burrito-sized tortillas (or larger) for this recipe. 8-inch tortillas should be your minimum.
If you like to add cool ingredients such as avocados, guacamole, or sour cream, it’s best to add them just before serving so the cool items stay cool. This requires you to unwrap your burrito after cooking. As an alternative, you can use the cool ingredients as toppings, dips, or sauces served on the side.
For little hands (or little appetites), use a sharp bread knife to cut the finished burritos in half before serving. Or you could use make this recipe with smaller-sized tortillas and make mini-burritos. Great as an appetizer, too!
WHAT OTHER MEXICAN DISHES CAN YOU MAKE?
- Make these amazing Instant Pot Shredded Beef Fajitas.
- Create these delicious Homemade Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro & Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Prepare these Easy Nacho Cups.
- Make this amazing Southwest Chicken Taco Salad.
- Prepare this savory Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos.
The next time you make this Chicken Burrito Recipe, I would love to see it! Snap a picture and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #happymoneysaver and tagging me @happymoneysaver!
Easy Chicken Burrito Recipe
- 1 lb boneless chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups Spanish rice make from homemade or use boxed mix.
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 10 8-inch tortillas flour, whole wheat, gluten-free all work
- Season the chicken by sprinkling on chili powder, ground cumin, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil and chicken. Cook the chicken until tender, around 7 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on a cutting board to rest for about 5 minutes. Then slice into strips.
- In the meantime, cook your Spanish rice according to directions. Let it cool.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, drain and rinse black beans until rinse water runs clear. Set aside and allow to drip until mostly dry.
- Assemble your burritos. Place 3 Tablespoons of Spanish rice and 4-5 slices of chicken, 2 Tablespoons black beans and about 2 Tablespoons shredded cheese to each tortilla. Pull in each end of tortilla and roll up tightly into a burrito shape.
MAKE IT NOW
- PAN: Spread a little bit of soft butter on the outside of the burrito. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add burrito and cook for 1-2 minutes, until golden, then flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until golden.
- OVEN: Wrap tortilla in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until heated through.
- MICROWAVE: Wrap burrito in a moist paper towel and cook in microwave on High for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until heated through.
FREEZE FOR LATER
- Place uncooked chicken burritos into a gallon freezer safe bag, seal removing as much air as possible and freeze. If you plan on removing burritos from freezer for lunches or on the go individually, wrap each in foil first and then place in bag so they don’t stick together.
COOK FROM FROZEN
- OVEN: Remove from freezer. Take foil wrapped burrito and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through.
- MICROWAVE: Remove foil and wrap frozen burrito in a moist paper towel and cook in microwave on High for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
This recipe was first posted on Feb 18th, 2019 but has been updated with new photos and better-detailed instructions on January 19th, 2022.
Hilary Reed says
Is there anything you could substitute for the black beans?
Refried beans work great too.
Exactly what it says! “Easy”… Delicious! The spices for the chicken were perfect. Sadly I didn’t see the option for Wet Burrito until later. That’ll be for next time! Very good!
You said you like to use the raw tortillas to make these. Do you cook them before you assemble, or do the tortillas cook as the burrito is cooking? Thank you!
I cook them first before assembling!
Can i wrap it with uncooked ground pork then only steam it?
I don’t think the pork would be cooked through if you added uncooked ground pork inside.
Love this spice rub on the chicken! My husband takes the burritos to work with him for a quick and tasty meal. Thanks so much!
I had no clue you could freeze these, this would save me a LOT of time! First time reader here and I couldn’t love your content more, I’m a sucker for simple recipes.
Have you ever tried to add some veggies? Did it work? What veggies? What were your process and method?
Maureen Smith says
I do not have your book, but I’d like your recipe for Spanish rice for the burrito bowls.