This Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is the most delicious and hearty soup ever. The rice and chickpeas are super flavorful and filling, and the extra vegetables and seasoning make this a soup worth making over and over again.
My family is often asking for my Homemade Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup and Cashew Butternut Squash Soup, but this Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is quickly heading to the number one soup spot in my house.
I love soups. When the chilly weather starts to hit and my bones start to freeze, I crave a bowl of this warm creamy chicken and wild rice soup. The creamy rice and chicken do wonders to thaw me out! It’s pure comfort food.
This Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup is hearty, flavorful, and is filled with so much goodness. I used brown wild rice for extra nutrition and my kids haven’t complained once. (Hallelujah!!)
If you want to make this a freezer meal, here’s a hint: don’t add in the dairy until the last bit of cooking or else your soup will curdle. See more freezer meals here.
For a faster meal prep, buy shredded carrots and use leftover rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Fast dinners are my favorite kind of dinners.
CAN I MAKE THIS VEGAN OR VEGETARIAN?
Yes! I actually REALLY like this soup when it’s vegetarian. If you want it vegetarian, just omit the chicken. It’s just as delicious without it. If you want it vegan, use your favorite milk and butter alternatives.
CAN I FREEZE THE UNCOOKED RICE?
Yes, you can! When you cook this chicken and wild rice soup in instant pot or slow cooker, the rice will cook up as usual.
HOW LONG WILL THIS CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP BE GOOD IN THE FREEZER?
This recipe will last 4-6 months in the freezer.
OTHER INSTANT POT FREEZER MEALS:
Instant Pot Chicken Wild Rice Soup
no cook-prep, gluten-free, instant pot meal, crockpot meal, easy freezer meal, vegetarian
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 can chickpeas drained
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp 1 mL celery salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 lb chicken breasts optional
On serving day:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- Add all ingredients to a gallon sized freezer bag or container for instant pot.
MAKE IT NOW: Add to either the instant pot or crockpot and cook as directed below.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL: Seal bag or container, removing as much air as possible and freeze.
COOK IN INSTANT POT
- From frozen, add contents into an instant pot. Add 1/4 cup water. Cook for 30 minutes at high pressure then allow 10 minutes for natural release.
- From thawed or freshly made, transfer into an instant pot. Cook for 28 minutes at high pressure, then allow 10 minutes for natural release.
COOK IN CROCK POT
- From frozen, transfer to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-5 hours.
- From thawed or freshly made, transfer into slow cooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low 6-7 hours.
After cooking in Instant Pot or Crock Pot, shred chicken if using. In a small saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add cornstarch and whisk for 30 seconds until smooth. Add in whole milk and whisk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add to soup and stir gently until all blended together and creamy. Serve.