Oven baked French fries are super easy to make and are a fantastic side dish recipe. Topped with basil and Parmesan cheese, the whole family will be addicted!
My basil plant is Out. Of. Control. (I think it might be on steroids). I’ve been tossing the stuff in everything from sauce to stew, trying to keep it trimmed back so it won’t go to waste.
One night a few weeks back, I had the hare-brained idea to try adding fresh basil to a batch of fries I was pairing with an Italian chicken recipe.
It turned out soooo good!
Let me just say, if you think French fries can’t be a fancy side dish, you are totally wrong, and I’m going to prove it to you!
OVEN BAKED FRENCH FRIES RECIPE
Preheat your oven, first thing! 400 degrees should do it.
Not only are these fries fancier than your normal version, they’re super simple!
Grab your favorite peeler and take the skins right off your lovely little potatoes. Or leave the skin on, if you prefer! It contains the bulk of nutrients – including fiber, potassium, and vitamin C.
Grab a nice, sharp knife and cut those taters into 1/3- to 1/2-inch sticks. Try to cut them all uniformly, so they bake evenly…although, I love to snack on the little, extra crispy ones when they’re fresh out of the oven!
I recently stumbled upon this french fry cutter on Amazon.com, I just ordered one and I can’t wait to get it. It will make this process that much easier!
As you’re cutting, soak the sticks in a bowl full of lightly salted water so they don’t turn brown and ugly, which they tend to do when they’re exposed to air for too long.
Let those babies soak a few more minutes, and brush some olive oil on a baking sheet. Chop up your basil and butter, and grab your seasonings. Get ready to make the magic happen!
Drain your future fries on a few paper towels, and be sure to blot them as dry as you can before spreading them out on your baking sheet. It’s alright if they touch!
Sprinkle them with your salt, pepper, garlic powder, and some love. I mean basil! Honestly, though, feel free to use as much basil as your heart desires.
Then, it’s time to drizzle on your olive oil, and scatter your yummy butter. I just can’t help it, I love butter! It’s not a lot, only a couple tablespoons, but it’s just enough to add the touch you’re looking for.
Now comes the hard part – waiting!
Pop them in the preheated oven and bake them for 30-ish minutes, until they’re barely browned.
If you’re adding cheese, the 30 minute mark is the time to do it. If not, simply toss the oven baked french fries a bit, rotate the pan, and let them bake another 15-20 minutes.
And your reward for your patience?
I could seriously just make these homemade oven baked french fries for dinner every day and be happy.
Oh dear, these pictures are getting me hungry again!
MORE OF MY FAVORITE SIDE DISHES
- Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- Freezer Friendly Cauliflower Tater Tots
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Stuffed Butternut Squash Recipe with Bacon, Pecans & Apples
- Homemade Ketchup From Fresh Tomatoes
- Make Ahead & Freeze Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
If you like this recipe, I am sure you will also love my Easy One Pan Ranch Chicken And Potatoes Recipe. That recipe uses my DIY Copycat Homemade Hidden Valley Ranch Mix which would also be a great seasoning to add to these french fries, so go check them out too!
Oven Baked Basil French Fries
- 6 medium potatoes peeled & sliced into 1/3 thick fries, soaked in cold water
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter cubed
- 1 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain the fries and pat dry with paper towels. Use a pastry brush to spread 1-1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet and spread out the potatoes.
- Season potatoes with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, then sprinkle the basil evenly over the potatoes. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the fries. Scatter the cubed butter around the pan (this helps create the lovely caramelized edges).
- Bake for 30 minutes, then sprinkle Parmesan on top if desired. Rotating pan, return to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown. Use a spatula to remove the fries. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.