Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes are THE ultimate comfort food! These freezer ready twice baked potatoes are a delicious combination of buttery, creamy, and savory with a touch of dill for a fun bite.
If I had to think of a perfect delicious, nutritious and affordable ingredient to cook with – one that can stand on its own or blend into a dish – I would think of potatoes.
Need something to fill out a stew? Just dice up some potatoes! Need a quick side item? Why not fry up some potatoes. Want something to go with your bacon and eggs in the morning? Shred up some potatoes and make hashbrowns!
When life gives you potatoes, you cook ‘em.
I think you see where I’m going with this.
For all the quick and easy ways you can prepare them, there is only one way to really make them if you want a buttery, creamy and truly delicious potato experience: twice baked.
It might sound like a lot of work, but trust me on this one, it’s worth it! When you make twice baked potatoes, you’re making happiness. They’ll come out creamier, fluffier and more decadent than any baked potato or mashed potatoes could ever hope to be.
Not only do I have the ultimate recipe for you today, but I have some good news, too: this recipe freezes easily and keeps for up to three months AND they’re super kid approved!
WHAT DOES THIS TWICE BAKED POTATO RECIPE GO WELL WITH?
Make Ahead twice baked potatoes make a great side dish with many meals. When you’ve spent all day making Barbeque Brisket on the grill, just pull some of these from the freezer and you’re ready to go. Or, if you’re short on time, they pair well with another classic freezer meal, Cube Steaks & Gravy.
Of course, there’s no reason twice baked potatoes can’t be the main dish. We have them all the time with a green side salad.
CAN YOU FREEZE TWICE BAKED POTATOES?
Yes! These easy twice baked potatoes can be frozen ahead of time easily. All you need to do is wrap each cooked potato separately in plastic wrap. Place potatoes into a gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag and freeze. Once frozen, they’re good to eat for up to three months! They can go right from the freezer to the oven.
Make Ahead Twice Baked Potatoes
- 6 medium-sized baking potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter softened, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup milk
- 11/2 cups 375 mL shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Additional salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices bacon cooked and finely
- chopped divided
- 1 tsp 5 mL dried dill
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Using 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter, grease potatoes on all sides. Sprinkle with salt, dividing equally, then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake on middle rack in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove potatoes from oven and let stand for about 15 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop cooked potato into a large bowl, leaving 1/8 inch (3 mm) pulp all around inside of potato skin.
- To cooked potato in bowl, add remaining butter, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, 3/4 cup (175 mL) Cheddar cheese and half the bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Using an electric hand mixer or hand masher, mix together until creamy. Do not overmix.
- Spoon potato mixture back into potato skins. Top with remaining cheese and bacon; sprinkle with dried dill.
MAKE IT NOW
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing apart. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool for l5 minutes. Sprinkle with dill, if using.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Before filling potatoes, let filling cool completely, then fill as directed. Wrap each potato separately in plastic wrap. Place potatoes in 2 labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bags. Seal, removing as much air as possible, and freeze.
COOK FROM FROZEN
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Remove plastic wrap from potatoes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until hot in the center and cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with dill, if using.