If you need a kid-friendly, easy to make dinner recipe this is it. There’s very little prep time involved, and you can even freeze this delicious tortellini bake for a ready to cook freezer meal. Super versatile, this pizza inspired casserole can be easily customized for picky eaters or to add extra toppings.
I don’t know how things are in your house, but my kids will eat anything if you call it pizza. Since this tortellini casserole uses pizza sauce and classic pizza toppings, it definitely has a pizza flavor to it.
Basically it’s a delicious, kid-friendly masterpiece that everyone will love.
One thing I love to do with this baked tortellini recipe is to make individual mini casseroles. That way everyone can pick out their favorite toppings – just like with pizza! It’s also great for my husband – he can add in all the extra toppings he wants without the kids complaining!
With cheese filled tortellini and then topped with more cheese, this recipe is full of irresistible, cheesy goodness. Mmm…
I can’t be the only one who loves extra cheese!
Add this recipe to your collection of easy baked dinner ideas or freezer meals. You won’t regret it.
What I love about tortellini pasta recipes is they’re so easy to make! All you’ll need is a one pound package of frozen or fresh cheese tortellini, two cups of store bought pizza sauce, half of a bell pepper, a can of sliced olives , two cups for shredded mozzarella cheese, and 40 pepperoni slices or a bag of mini pepperonis. You can also add any other pizza toppings you enjoy.
How to Make Tortellini Bake
In a medium bowl, combine tortellini, pizza sauce, diced bell pepper, drained olives, and ½ cup of shredded mozzarella. Stir until well combined.
Lightly grease a 13 by 9 inch (33 by 23cm) baking dish. Spread one half of the tortellini mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Evenly lay half of the pepperoni slices on top. Then, sprinkle half of the remaining mozzarella cheese over the pepperoni layer.
Repeat the layers starting with the tortellini mixture, followed by the remaining pepperoni and mozzarella cheese layers.
To enjoy now, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes. The tortellini casserole should be heated through. Remove foil, and bake for about 10 more minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden on top.
Can You Freeze Tortellini Bake?
For a freezer meal, skip baking and wrap the baking dish tightly with plastic wrap. Press down gently to remove the air. Then cover with aluminum foil, label, and freeze for up to 6 months.
To thaw and bake a frozen tortellini bake, place the frozen dish in the fridge for at least 24 hours (and up to 48 hours) to thaw. Remove the foil and plastic layer, then follow the regular baking directions.
How Long Do You Bake Frozen/Fresh Tortellini in Sauce?
If you’re using frozen tortellini with this recipe, let frozen tortellini thaw for 30 minutes before following the recipe directions. You can also skip thawing and cook the tortellini casserole for an extra 10 minutes, or until heated through.
Fresh tortellini will bake faster than frozen or partially thawed tortellini. That being said, when you’re making a casserole you’re heating all the ingredients, so it doesn’t really change the cooking time that much.
If you use fresh tortellini for this casserole, expect to bake it for 40 to 50 minutes covered, then an additional 10 minutes uncovered.
Pro Tips/Recipe Notes
- You can use frozen or fresh tortellini in this recipe. If you’re baking immediately with frozen tortellini, simply thaw the pasta for 30 minutes before you assemble the casserole.
- Using mini pepperoni is so much fun!
- This recipe works great with almost any pizza topping! Some fun ideas are pre-cooked Italian sausage, cooked ground chicken, sautéed shrimp, and mushrooms.
- Serve with Caesar salad and garlic bread on the side.
- If you’re feeling extra saucy (or prefer your casserole with more sauce), feel free to add a bit of additional pizza sauce.
Fill Your Freezer With More Casserole Ideas
You can never have too many freezer meals on hand. For breakfast, this freezer friendly French Toast Casserole is so yummy. If you need some healthy options, check out my recipes for Philly Cheesesteak Cauliflower Tater Tot Casserole and Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole. Last, but definitely not least, are a couple dinner favorites – Classic Tuna Casserole and Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Happy meal prep!
Was your pizza pasta meal success? I’d love to see it! Tag me in your photos on Instagram @happymoneysaver and use the hashtag #happymoneysaver!
Cheesy Pizza Tortellini Bake Freezer Meal
- 1 lb package frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
- 2 cups store-bought pizza sauce
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 can sliced olives 2.25 oz, drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 40 pepperoni slices or bag of mini pepperonis
- In a medium bowl combine tortellini, pizza sauce, bell pepper, olives and 1/2 cup (125 mL) mozzarella cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Spread one-half of the tortellini mixture evenly over bottom of a lightly greased 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) baking dish.
- Evenly spread half the pepperoni over top, then sprinkle with half remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers starting with the tortellini mixture and ending with the mozzarella cheese.
MAKE IT NOW
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cover baking dish with foil and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 10 minutes more, until bubbly and golden on top.
MAKE A FREEZER MEAL
- Wrap baking dish tightly with plastic wrap, pressing down gently to remove air. Cover with foil, label, and freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place dish in refrigerator for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours to thaw. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cover baking dish with foil and bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 10 minutes more, until bubbly and golden on top.