This Chorizo Black Bean Soup is a fun alternative to a more traditional bean soup with the flavors of spicy chorizo and fresh lime juice.
This delicious soup has tons of flavor – thanks to all of the chorizo, spices, and fresh lime and cilantro.
If you have never cooked with chorizo before, you are missing out! It adds a delicious bite to any dish it is in. I love the richness it adds to the soup, too. Throw in the beans and the spices and you have a dish that your family will be begging for on a cold night!
The best part of this soup is that you can dress it up according to your preferences.
My favorite is to top this soup with a large dollop of crema to make it extra creamy and delectable. A little bit of cilantro and a fresh squeeze of lime on top is perfection!
Can I Freeze this Chorizo Black Bean Soup?
Yes! This soup makes a lot which is why I love this recipe! I usually make this soup for my family for dinner and then portion it into individual bags for a fast, easy and delicious lunch! It freezes beautifully in ziploc bags and then is easily reheated to a great consistency for your next meal.
WHAT IS CHORIZO?
Spanish chorizo is Spanish pork sausage that is highly seasoned with garlic, smoked paprika – and salt. It is a little bit spicy and adds so much flavor into the soup.
IF I CAN’T FIND CHORIZO, WHAT IS A GOOD SUBSTITUTE?
Spicy Italian sausage is a the best substitute for chorizo but it will add a strong fennel flavor. This soup thrives on the spicy bite of the chorizo and the fresh lime so if you can find chorizo in your local grocery store.
Chorizo Black Bean Soup
- beef or vegetarian chorizo
- 2 15 oz. cans of black beans , drained and rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bell peppers diced (about 1 1/2 cups/375 mL)
- 1/2 large onion pureed (about 1/2 cup/125 mL)
- 2 tsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup 60 mL cilantro, minced, for garnish
- 2 limes cut into wedges, for garnish
- In a large bowl; combine chorizo, and broth. Mix well.
- Dice bell peppers, puree onions, mince garlic, and add to bowl along with bay leaf, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and olive oil. Mix well.
MAKE IT NOW
- Pour contents of bowl into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Add black beans and cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve topped with fresh minced cilantro, a lime wedge, and avocado crema, if desired.
- Pour contents of bowl into a gallon-sized freezer bag. Seal, removing as much air as possible. Freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in a large bowl in the fridge to thaw for 24 hours prior to serving. Pour contents of bag into large slow cooker. Cook LOW 6-8 hours/HIGH 3-4 hours. Add black beans and cook an additional 15 minutes. Serve topped with fresh minced cilantro, a lime wedge, and avocado crema, if desired.