Mmmmm….cheesy, creamy, crispy POTATOES…who doesn’t love a good Cheesy Potatoes Recipe?! And, oh my goodness, this recipe won’t disappoint. My family asks me to make this on a regular basis. The best thing about this recipe is that you can make it for breakfast by adding cooked crumbled breakfast sausage, make it for a brunch pot luck by adding crumbled bacon, or make it for dinner by adding some steamed broccoli, and even chicken! You can do so many things with this recipe, or it’s great just by itself, which is how I’m making it today. YUM!
Freezer Meal Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
Start out by preheating your oven to 350˚
Next, in a large pot, melt a stick of butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir in celery salt, onion salt and flour. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth, bubbly and golden brown…that’s a roux. Sounds fancy, but it’s really not!
While stirring your roux (I like saying roux to sound fancy) add the chicken stock. Once combined, add the milk. Keep stirring, is your arm getting tired yet? Bring almost to a boil and remove from the heat.
Add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and mix well.
Then, add the shredded potatoes, the rest of the cheese, garlic powder and sour cream to the same pot.
Spread evenly in a 9×13 pan. This will look so creamy and delicious…but you can’t eat it yet, it gets better!
Next, in a small bowl, combine corn flakes and panko breadcrumbs and sprinkle them evenly over the top of the potato mixture.
Then, just bake for 45 minutes or until it gets crispy and golden brown on top…isn’t this beautiful? And it makes your kitchen smell heavenly while baking!
Let it rest for about 10 minutes before you dig in. This cheesy potatoes recipe is super easy and super DELICIOUS!
To Freeze for later:
I love this cheesy potatoes recipe because it makes an amazing freezer meal. Just prepare in a disposable 9×13 aluminum pan. Once you have added the topping, cover the pan with foil, label and place in the freezer.
To heat, bake uncovered at 400˚ for one hour or until hot, crispy and golden brown. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Below is a printable recipe card for your convenience. Enjoy!
Freezer Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 8 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Salt
- 1 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese divided into 2 cups
- 9 Cups Frozen Shredded Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Corn Flakes crushed
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- In a large pot, melt stick of butter, add celery salt, onion salt, and flour and stir continuously until smooth, bubbly, and golden brown-that's a roux.
- While stirring, add chicken stock to your roux, mix well and add milk. Bring almost to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add 2 cups cheddar, mix well.
- In the same pot, thoroughly combine potatoes, rest of the cheese, garlic powder, and sour cream to the roux. Spread evenly in 9x13 pan.
- In a small bowl combine crushed corn flakes and panko. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350˚ for 45 minutes or until crispy and golden brown on top.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Freezer Instructions: Prepare in a disposable aluminum pan, cover with aluminum foil and freeze before baking. To heat: Bake at 400˚ for 1 hour or until crispy and golden brown on top. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.