With all the apples I got from my little apple tree out back, I decided to add some desserts to my freezer by making a bunch of Apple Crisp. This is a recipe we had a lot growing up, and in my humble opinion, it’s the only way to have apple crisp. It bothers me when I have apple crisp with an inadequate amount of topping. This recipe does not have that problem. It has a sufficient amount of apples with an overload of yummy oatmeal brown sugar and buttery goodness on top. Let’s get one thing straight, we don’t do skimpy around here… you can ask my thighs.
This freezer friendly apple crisp is easy, delicious and more importantly a perfect way to use up my apples in the fall. I gotta say, there is nothing better than sitting around on a fall evening with a sweet tooth and coming to the realization that you have some ready-to-be-baked apple crisp in your freezer. Pure bliss. It’s also a great dessert to have on one of those long days that you just don’t want to cook anything and you already have a freezer meal in the oven. Finish it off with a freezer meal dessert! Best. Night. Ever. Here’s how to make this recipe.
First make up the topping. Add brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large bowl. Stir together.
Next add in melted butter. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
Cut up your apples into thin slices. I love this apple peeler corer thing. Best thrift store find ever! Order one for yourself, you know you want too.
Look how nicely it cuts them up for me.
Place apples in a greased 8×8 baking dish.
Pour topping over apples.
I made a bunch of these to freeze. I will be one happy lady this fall! Look at these babies all ready to be covered in foil and placed in the freezer!
If you are making these for the freezer then just cover, label, and freeze.
If you’re preparing to eat right away, go ahead and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
Looks so good I might have to pull one out of the freezer right now. Enjoy!
Here is the printable recipe:
Homemade Apple Crisp
- 2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg optional
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 1/2 cups sliced apples
- Combine the sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter and mix until crumbly.
- Place apples in a greased 8 x 8 inch pan. Pour toppings over apples.
Make It Now
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with ice-cream or whipped cream.
- Cover the apple crisp with plastic wrap and then wrap again with tin foil. Write the cooking directions on the foil and freeze.
To Cook From Frozen
- Bake it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- My favorite apples to use for this recipe are granny smith apples - the right amount of tart and sweet. If you don’t like granny smith apples and think they’re too tart? Try honeycrisp instead. Honeycrisp apples are a good alternative but they are slightly sweeter.
- A pound of apples is about 3 cups of sliced apples depending on their size. So for this recipe I would use just under one pound of apples.
- I love to add a big scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream to my apple crisp. You could add salted caramel sauce and cool whip. You could also sprinkle a little extra cinnamon sugar on top.
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out more of my freezer meals here. Thanks!