When I started making this Garlic Chicken Pasta Recipe it quickly turned into a family favorite at our house…my kids ask for it weekly! AND you only have to dirty one skillet (I think that MIGHT be my favorite part)! I have always loved creating new recipes in the kitchen, and the recipe that I’m sharing with you today won’t disappoint. It’s easy to make and freezes well so you can have dinner ready on those busy nights when you don’t have time to cook…straight from the freezer to the oven!!
Garlic Chicken Pasta Recipe
For this recipe I will be using penne pasta. My kids love it, I don’t know if it’s the shape or what, but it is definitely their favorite of all pastas. You could also use bow tie, rigatoni or whatever your family likes.
First, preheat a large skillet on the stove to med-high heat. Add olive oil and butter, once butter has melted, add the chicken (cut into 1 inch pieces). Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Continue cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is nice and golden brown on all sides. Smells good already…but, wait…it gets better!
Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. This, my friends, is what cooking in an iron skillet will do for you. Look at that gorgeous golden brown color. If you don’t have at least one iron skillet, I highly recommend you get one. I use mine on a daily basis!
Next reduce the heat to medium and add a little more olive oil to the skillet and saute the chopped onions until they become translucent, about 5 or 6 minutes. Make sure to give them a good stir to remove all of those flavor bits from the bottom! Then, add minced garlic and cook for another minute or so, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Next, add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, and red pepper flakes (you can leave out the pepper flakes if you like). Add in the cooked chicken and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
It’s looking so delicious, but just a couple more ingredients to take this to another level!!
Stir in the half & half and shredded mozzarella cheese.
Once the cheese has melted, remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes so the sauce can thicken.
This Garlic Chicken Pasta Recipe is about to make your tastebuds really happy!!
When I am making freezer meals, these disposable aluminum pans are my best friend. I love them because they can go from the freezer right into the oven…and when you’re done with them, straight into trash for an easy clean-up!
Freezing this Garlic Chicken Pasta Recipe is super easy! Just let it cool completely, pour it into the disposable pan, cover with foil, and place in the freezer…that’s it! Now you are ready to tackle any busy weeknight with ease!
To heat, preheat your oven to 350˚ and bake uncovered for about 45 minutes or until heated through.
Below is a printable recipe card. Enjoy!
Garlic Chicken Pasta easy to make and perfect for a healthy dinner!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast - cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat large skillet to medium high heat. Add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of olive oil and butter. Once butter has melted add chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the rest of the olive oil and onions and cook until translucent, about 5 or 6 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, crushed red pepper flakes and cooked chicken pieces. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in half & half and mozzarella cheese.
- Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes for sauce to thicken.
Freezer instructions: Let cool completely. Pour into disposable pan, cover with foil and place in the freezer. To heat: Preheat oven to 350˚ and bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until heated through.