This week I have been doing more of my 50 freezer meals in a day cooking. With school starting soon and summer coming to a close I will need all the help I can get. Freezer meals help me out so much. This homemade stir-fry freezer meal is a delicious healthy dinner for my family.
This time of year is the perfect time of year to make this if you have your own garden. You can use any variety of vegetables. This time I used cauliflower, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and summer squash. It turned out great! I love to have a little protein with my veggies so I added some chicken. I have also made this with pork, and beef, but most of the time I use chicken because we always have it on hand.
Homemade Freezer Stir-Fry
Start a pot of generously salted water on the stove. Bring to a boil. Prepare your veggies. Wash, and cut up into bite sized pieces.
Blanch your veggies. Check out this chart on how long to blanch different varieties of vegetables.
Remove with a slotted spoon or a fine mesh strainer.
Place blanched veggies on parchment covered cookie sheets and let cool to room temperature. Place in freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen solid.
Remove from freezer and break up veggies with your hands so they are not stuck together.
Place about 4 cups of frozen veggies in a freezer safe gallon sized bag and place back in freezer.
Prepare and cut up enough chicken or other meat to go with the veggies. I use about 2 large chicken breasts. Cut up raw chicken and place in sandwich sized freezer safe bags.
Make the marinade.
Place 3 -4 tablespoons of stir-fry marinade into the bag of raw meat. Add the rest of the marinade to another sandwich sized bag.
Seal bags and place them all in the bag of frozen veggies. Remove as much air as you can, seal and place bag in freezer until ready to prepare.
To cook: Remove frozen chicken and marinade packets. Let them thaw or run under warm water to thaw quickly. Add a little bit of oil to a wok or large skillet. Stir-fry meat on med-high heat until cooked through. Add in frozen veggies, and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes more until all is cooked to your liking. Add marinade and heat until all is coated and heated through.
Serve on its own or with a side of rice.
I hope you love this freezer meal as much as I do. It is honestly the best stir-fry I have ever had. I love the flavor of the marinade and using veggies straight from my garden. It just makes me happy. Below are the printable recipes for you. Enjoy!
homemade freezer stir-fry
Delicious homemade freezer friendly stir fry takes only minutes to prepare and you'll have it on hand for a busy night.
- 4 cups fresh vegetables
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 batch of marinade
- Wash and prepare vegetables by chopping into bite sized pieces. Blanch veggies in a pot of generously salted boiling water. Remove blanched veggies from water with a slotted spoon or fine strainer. Spread out veggies on parchment lined cookie sheets and let cool completely. Place in a freezer for 2-3 hours or until frozen solid. Remove from freezer and break up frozen veggies with hands. Place in a gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Chop up chicken breasts into bit sized pieces. Place chicken, along with 3-4 tablespoons of marinade in a sandwich sized bag. Seal bag and place in gallon sized bag with the frozen veggies.
- Pour remaining marinade in a sandwich sized bag and place in gallon sized bag with chicken and veggies. Remove as much air as you can and seal bag. Place back in freezer until ready to make.
- To cook: Remove frozen chicken and marinade and let thaw completely. Stirfry meat with a little oil in a wok or large skillet for a few minutes until cooked through. Add in frozen veggies and the marinade and cook on high, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes or until all the veggies are heated through and meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Serve on its own or with a side of rice.
Freezer stir-fry Marinade
Freezer stir-fry Marinade is freezer meal with nice flavor and it is a delicious healthy dinner for family!
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp ginger root peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- few drops of hot sauce optional
- 3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until combined.