Looking for a quick and easy taco soup recipe that’s not only delicious but also freezer-friendly? Look no further than this 5 can taco soup recipe! With just a few simple steps, you can have a warm and comforting bowl of soup ready to go in no time. Plus, this recipe is so easy that even beginner cooks can master it!
This easy taco soup recipe requires only five cans of ingredients – corn, red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and pork n’beans. You can also add ground beef to the recipe if you prefer. To make the soup, simply brown the ground beef (if using), add the cans of ingredients and taco seasoning, and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
That’s it – dump, done, and ready to enjoy!
Whether you’re a busy parent or someone who just wants to save time in the kitchen, having a stash of freezer meals on hand can make mealtime a breeze. And if you’re a fan of easy freezer meals, you’ll definitely want to check out my blog post with 15 delicious freezer-friendly recipes that are sure to become your new favorites. From soups and stews to casseroles and pasta dishes, there’s something for everyone on this list. So be sure to give it a read and start stocking your freezer with tasty meals today!
IS THIS TACO SOUP SPICY?
Everyone has his or her own idea of “spicy,” but to me this recipe isn’t spicy. It’s flavorful, for sure. But it’s not burn-your-mouth hot. The primary flavor comes from a packet of taco seasoning you would use to make tacos. If you want to kick up the spice level, adding cayenne pepper is the easiest way to do it without changing the flavor profile. But be careful – a little goes a long way! Start with a pinch and see how you do.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TACO SOUP?
There are plenty of sides and toppings that go well with Taco Soup. You can serve it with some crispy tortilla chips, diced avocado, shredded cheese, Restaurant-Style Salsa and a dollop of sour cream. If you’re looking for a heartier meal, you can ladle the soup over Spanish Rice to make a hearty rice bowl. If you’re a soup dipper, you’ll love this recipe with a side of Homemade Cornbread or even Buttermilk Biscuits.
HOW DO YOU FREEZE TACO SOUP?
Freezing Taco Soup is incredibly easy and convenient. After you cook the ground beef, let it cool before adding it to a gallon-size freezer bag with the remaining ingredients (excluding the toppings and garnishes). Seal the bag, remove as much air as possible, and freeze for up to 6 months. Don’t forget to label your bag with a Sharpie with the recipe’s name and the date you froze it. When you’re ready to enjoy it, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
CAN I MAKE THIS TACO SOUP VEGAN?
With just a few modifications it’s easy to make this recipe vegetarian or even vegan while still maintaining the delicious flavor. Instead of ground beef, use a plant-based “meatless meat” product, such as Beyond Meat. Instead of Pork & Beans, substitute baked beans. And for the garnishes, use vegan sour cream and cheese. The best part about this recipe is that it’s highly customizable, so you can adjust the ingredients to fit your dietary needs.
WHAT OTHER SOUPS FREEZE WELL?
If you have high-quality Tupperware or freezer bags, many other soups freeze well. A few of my favorites are Tomato Basil Soup, Creamy Cheesy Broccoli Soup, and Chorizo Black Bean Soup. Or this Easy Chicken Noodle Soup. Whatever your preference, soups are a great meal option that can be easily prepared ahead of time and enjoyed whenever you want.
PRO TIPS/RECIPE NOTES
- You can make this recipe lighter and healthier with just a few tweaks. For starters, use ground turkey or ground chicken instead of ground beef. This cuts calories and fat. Try substituting Greek yogurt instead of sour cream – the flavor is so similar you’ll hardly miss it. And finally, use your cheese sparingly. Remember, it’s just a garnish!
- Forget to buy a taco seasoning mix? You can make your own in just a couple of minutes. Here’s my tasty recipe for homemade taco seasoning.
- When freezing, consider dividing it into multiple small bags for easy single-serve portions.
- Experiment with different beans or canned tomatoes to add variety to the soup.
- Top the soup with your favorite toppings to make it extra special.
Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 can 14 oz/398 mL tomato sauce
- 1 can 14 oz/398 mL diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can 15 oz/425 mL pork and beans
- 1 can 15 oz/425 mL red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 can 15 oz/425 mL corn, with liquid
- 2 tbsp 30 mL taco seasoning
- 1 cup 250 mL water
Garnishes and Toppings:
- corn tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips optional
- shredded cheddar cheese optional
- sour cream optional
- chopped fresh cilantro optional
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef, breaking up with a spoon, for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. Drain fat.
MAKE IT NOW
- In a large saucepan, combine cooked ground beef, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (with juice), pork and beans, kidney beans, water, corn and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings such as crushed tortilla chips, Cheddar cheese, sour cream and cilantro, if using.
MAKE IT A FREEZER MEAL
- Let ground beef cook completely.
- In a labeled gallon-size (4 L) freezer bag, combine ground beef, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (with juice), pork and beans, kidney beans, water, corn and taco seasoning. Seal, removing as much air as possible, label and then freeze.
THAW AND COOK
- Place bag in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours or up to 24 hours to thaw. Keep bag of soup in a large bowl just in case it leaks or the bag isn’t sealed tightly.
- Pour contents into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Ladle into bowls and top with crushed tortilla chips, Cheddar cheese, sour cream and cilantro, if using.
Loved this recipe?
Make sure to follow on Instagram @happymoneysaver and on Pinterest @happymoneysaver for more money savin’ recipes!
MORE RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
- Make these amazing Homemade Chicken Taquitos with Cilantro and Pepper Jack Cheese.
- Prepare this yummy Chicken Enchiladas Freezer Meal Recipe.
- Make a batch of this Easy Creamy White Chicken Chili.
- Create these sensational Chicken Burrito Bowls.
- Make these delicious Easy Shredded Chicken Tacos.
The next time you make this Taco Soup Freezer Meal recipe, I would love to see it! Snap a picture and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #happymoneysaver and tagging me @happymoneysaver!
Leave A Reply!